duct baffle repair

Old 08-29-17, 07:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
duct baffle repair

My house has a full basement and one and one half above-ground floors. The above ground floors contain 1900 sq ft. The furnace is in the basement. I have a 10” x 14”high duct about 8” long coming out of the furnace. Then the duct continues 8 more inches and then begins a 90 degree, vertical turn and carries conditioned air to the higher floor. The baffle’s point of rotation is about 5 inches from the furnace. I have broken the baffle [see photo]. The baffle’s purpose is to shut off conditioned air going to the higher level when no one is using the higher level. I am not certain whether the baffle is fully open or fully closed or whether the baffle has fallen apart inside the duct. My wife and I rarely go to the higher floor and the higher floor is used only when we have visitors. How can I repair this baffle? What tools are required?

Attached Images    
Old 08-29-17, 07:53 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So you broke the threaded rod inside the wing nut. Is that correct? Can you spin what's left of the rod with a pair of pliers to determine if the damper/baffle is opened or closed? Even if you can't determine that, try to extend what's left of it to connect it to the flat bar. Otherwise, you have to open the duct to access it.

Old 08-29-17, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,899 Upvotes on 3,495 Posts
Some larger dampers have a stud exiting both sides of the duct.
If yours has that you may be able to connect something there.

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-17, 07:20 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
easiest thing to do would be to remove the damper and take it to a duct shop and have them make you one $10 and you are done.

Old 09-02-17, 05:05 PM
L
Pete: I broke the threaded rod inside the wing nut inside the duct. The threaded rod on the right side of your image and on the lower side of my duct is broken off with no threads left inside the baffle so I cannot thread anything into the baffle. There is still a lever on the upper side of my duct or left side of your image. The bottom side of the baffle is moving around inside the duct and I doubt the baffle will stop much air when the fan is operating. The posts suggest, under these conditions, that I open the duct and repair the baffle. I think you can see in image two above, the connector holding the duct between the furnace and the elbow. Please explain how to remove those connectors so I can remove that section of duct and repair or replace the baffle.

Last edited by LKV1; 09-02-17 at 05:07 PM. Reason: my errors
Old 09-02-17, 05:40 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Old 09-02-17, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,899 Upvotes on 3,495 Posts
This video may help too..... you tube/watch?v=AKjfwDaqOwA

You have two slips and four drives. The four drives will need to be slid off. You can straighten out the four tabs on the opposite side. Use a screwdriver between the tab and the duct to start sliding them towards you. Then you'll need a pair of vise grips and a hammer to tap them off.

You need to be aware of what is holding the ductwork up as you'll be taking a piece out of the system.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: