Return air vent in finished basement

Old 09-29-17, 08:44 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Return air vent in finished basement

Hi All,

First post here. I recently finished my basement with the intent on having 2 return air vents. I have not cut out the vents yet by the way. One is about 10 ft away from the water heater but that room is closed off and the vent would be placed in the living room. Another is a couple rooms away that was placed along a concrete wall with a foam board backing. I have been reading that some say having return vents in the basements can be bad. Thoughts? And if it is ok to have these should i place the vents towards the floor or the ceiling?

Thanks!

Old 09-29-17, 11:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,248 Upvotes on 1,192 Posts
I think returns in the basement are essential, you just want to make sure there's enough supply in rooms with combustion so you don't get a backdraft and that sounds like it will not be an issue.

Old 09-29-17, 03:01 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
We need to know the type of draft on that water heater, natural, powered, or sealed with a dedicated fresh air source?
What other appliances do you have down there that need a supply of air to replace what is being exhausted, like your furnace/boiler or dryer?
How big is that room where the water heater is located and where does its fresh air come from?

Bud

Old 09-29-17, 05:49 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
What are the return vents connected to the furnace?

Old 10-02-17, 05:07 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
return air vents

Any time you finish a basement area, you need to add supply registers and return registers. Up north where I live I constantly hear people talk about how cold in winter or how hot in the summer the basement is. I go to their homes and find 1 or 2 supply registters and maybe 1 return register. If this area is the same dimensions as your next floor up area then to be comfortable it should have the same amount of supply and return registers, because you are conditioning the same amount of space. If you have 6 supply registers in the next floor up, to stay warm in the winter you will need the same number of registers in the basement. Do not add a return in the equipment room if that area is sealed off from the rest of the area because you could reverse the flues of the other appliances. You will need to make sure that the supply registers you use can be closed off in the summer since cold air is heavy and will sink to the lowest level in the house. The supply registers can be in the ceiling and the returns will work best at the floor level. Hope this info helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: