Dryer Venting through Roof (Vent Cap issue)

Old 01-06-18, 03:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Venting through Roof (Vent Cap issue)

I have a gas dryer which was venting into the garage. Decided to discontinue that due to not wanting CO or mold accumulation. There's another vent in the laundry room that I've connected the dryer to which vents straight up to the roof. Home inspector says this roof vent presents a fire hazard due to using a cap not normally used for dryer vents (see pic). I've been up on the roof and the cap appears to be a 4 inch gas vent cap that's typically used for venting gases but not dryer lint. Also it appears this cap cannot be removed from the vent pipe without cutting it (screws in the cap appear to be machined into the pipe and not removable). Air flow appears to be good on the roof and it seems like lint is able to escape through the opening although occasionally small pieces will catch in the corners of the vent before breaking free. I have two questions...

1) Can I leave this cap as is?

2) If I leave this cap can I reduce any fire hazard risk by cleaning the vent from inside the house (since cap is irremovable wouldn't be able to do it on roof) with a rotary dryer vent cleaning system?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-18, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 774 Votes on 715 Posts
You definitely do NOT vent a dryer vent into any other duct work for other appliances. That cap and duct is fine for whatever it was originally for. Duct your dryer out the garage wall if needed, but you do not combine it with any other duct. You also don't want a long vertical run on a dryer vent, period.

Old 01-06-18, 03:21 PM
M
Sorry I should have been more clear in my original post. The vent it's currently connected to (with the cap shown in pic) was the one originally installed for the dryer at the time of construction. it's the only legitimate dryer vent in my laundry room (the other one into the garage was added later and terminates in the garage making it not viable for a gas dryer due to possible CO accumulation). The home inspector just said the vent cap pictured is the wrong kind for a dryer vent, just wondering if I can leave cap as is and clean the vent from inside the house without removing the cap or if this presents a significant hazard. Thanks!

Old 01-06-18, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 774 Votes on 715 Posts
I see, sorry I misunderstood. Regardless, I would agree with your inspector that it is unsafe. As such I really cannot recommend you continue to use it... even if you intend to clean and monitor it.

https://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/B-Vent-Chimneys.php

That being said, see these installation instructions for your cap. It likely has a lock collar that you twist to remove.

http://www.hartandcooley.com/assets/...ent-130116.pdf

Old 01-06-18, 04:10 PM
M
Great thank you! if I were to abandon this vent what would your thoughts be on me getting an electric dryer and venting that in the garage with some kind of heat diverter product?

Old 01-06-18, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Your gas dryer is fine . if you want a electric dryer you will still have the same vent problem. Cut the cap off and put a dryer rated cap on.

Old 01-06-18, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
different issue with this problem. Was this fan installed before sale? Was it part of contract.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: