Moving Thermostat from Hallway to Family Room

Old 03-13-18, 07:06 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving Thermostat from Hallway to Family Room

I have a 2nd floor condo that I just purchased. I am installing an Ecobee4 smart thermostat, but I don't have 4 wires. I was going to use a Venstar add a wire kit, but I also put in a whole house humidifier. At this point, I think it's easier to just run a new line. I'm renovating most of the downstairs, so I'll be able to conceal the wiring. Because I have limited basement access, I was thinking about relocating the thermostat to the family room. It's currently in the hall area near the bedrooms. Would there be any issues in doing that? You can see pictures below. The one is the hallway showing the existing thermostat. The other is the family room area. I was thinking about maybe the left wall (somewhere in the area of the paint sample). I could also put it on the wall that you see straight ahead. That's a closet that holds the HVAC and water heater. I'm not sure if it matters, but there is a return at the back left (near where you see the ladder and cardboard box). If it needs to stay in the hallway, I can probably place it on the opposite wall. The carpet is getting replaced with hardwood, so I won't be able to run it under the flooring.

Attached Images   
Old 03-13-18, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Try to keep the thermostat centrally located. Away from sunny windows and definitely away from heating/cooling registers. Not quite as important with returns.

Old 03-13-18, 11:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The only issue I see with thermostats in living rooms is you don't know what furniture will be put where in the future. Some of my tenants put tall entertainment centers and lamps in front of them.

Old 03-13-18, 11:55 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
The only issue I see with thermostats in living rooms is you don't know what furniture will be put where in the future. Some of my tenants put tall entertainment centers and lamps in front of them.
That was actually my concern as well. We may be putting a sectional along the left-side wall, but we haven't quite decided. That's why I was thinking of putting the thermostat near the steps (where you can see the paint sample on the wall). I don't think we would have anything that would be in the way. I just don't know if that's a bad location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: