Gas Pack blower sucking in outside air

Old 03-24-18, 10:08 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Pack blower sucking in outside air

My outside gas pack started making a terrible humming noise when the blower came on. The unit is sucking air in around the top of the unit and it creates a horn sound. Duct tape over the air leak stops the noise. My question..... should the blower be sucking air in from the outside??

Old 03-24-18, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Of course it shouldn't be letting in outside air. Apparently, you have damage or degradation of the ducting from the return in the house to the unit outside. They can't just be stuck together and then sealed with "duct" tape (which is no good for ducting anyway...esp not outside). I'm not positive, but the ones I've seen using a rigid duct are normally mechanically fastened together, then sealed with a mastic, or they use some sort of gasket at the joint. I've also seen a few from a distance that have some sort of rubber(?) flexible bellows.

Like I said, either it's been damaged, the seal/sealant has failed, or if other than metal it's just old and degraded. Whatever the cause, it needs to be fixed as you are wasting money as surely as if you left a window open in the heating season.

Old 03-24-18, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,327 Votes on 1,226 Posts
It sounds like your return line is blocked from inside the house.
Have you checked the filter ?

That noise was actually a blessing as it demonstrated to you a leak that needed to be repaired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: