Basement Duct Insulation

Old 04-27-18, 09:04 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Basement Duct Insulation

I've just started paying attention to my HVAC system and am trying to go over it and do what I can DIY to maximize efficiency. One thing I've noticed is down in our (unfinished) basement. These runs of flex duct - shouldn't they be covered by insulation sleeves? Why wouldn't they be insulated in the first place? (The run in the first picture is half insulated - what's up with that???) And while I'm at it, would it make sense to insulate the sheet metal ducting as well?

Name:  d1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  29.2 KB

Name:  d2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  d3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  25.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-27-19 at 12:44 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-18, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
OMG...

Sorry, off topic, but I got to say something about the boring in those I joists.

Might not be the right brand, but look at the guidelines in the downloaded instructions here:

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodpro...etail/tj-9001/

Old 04-27-18, 09:46 PM
J
Nope, very valid comment. I appreciate you calling that out - anything that people notice that I should be corrected is welcomed. I noticed that too. All rough and jagged edges all over the place. I can't believe the ducting isn't all ripped up. Same with holes for wiring - some of them look like they just took their hammer and busted out a hole. I'm actually going over the whole house and refreshing/renovating/updating various things, and I can't tell you how many times I've found things that were done ham-handedly, half-assedly, or just plain stupidly...

So anyway, about insulation, should these ducts be insulated? If I were to put insulation wrap around them, I would have to widen those penetrations a bit, and I'd do it neatly, so they had nice, smooth edges.

Old 04-27-18, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Mainly I was worried about the size and distance of the holes from bearing ends. I about pooped my pants when i first saw the size of hole but it's likely within specs. There are maximum sizes allowed for boring holes... or making square holes.

Table A and B in that link tell you what is allowable. Main thing is the distance away from bearing points so you are probably OK and the ugly holes are just cosmetic.

Regarding insulation, looks like they were saving money by only using flex duct where needed. Insulating ducts in a basement would be a waste of $ IMO. Basements are a fairly constant temperature so unless they sweat when the AC is on, you aren't going to get much bang for your buck.

Hang on and others will surely have an opinion.

Old 04-27-18, 11:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Insulating ducts in a basement would be a waste of $ IMO
I'm with X on this, I don't think they need to be insulated when running through conditioned space (none have been insulated in any house in which I have ever lived).

Old 04-28-18, 06:48 AM
J
Mainly I was worried about the size and distance of the holes from bearing ends.
OK, I misunderstood the cause of your OMG pants pooping

Well, good to know I don't need to insulate. Thanks.