Using empty dryer to temporarily heat garage

Old 09-15-18, 09:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using empty dryer to temporarily heat garage

I know that it is a bad idea to vent moist dryer heat to the garage, but does anyone have an opinion on using an empty electric dryer to occasionally heat a garage if I want to work on a project out there in the winter?
I would install a diverter and if I needed to work on my car or something in the winter (I live in MN), I would turn on my empty dryer and warm up my garage a bit. I have an insulated garage with no heater, but my dryer vent already passes through my garage to the outside. How would this method compare to purchasing a garage heater?

Thanks for any input.

Rob

Old 09-15-18, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
You willhave a lot of lint in garage. Not a very efferent way to do this

Old 09-15-18, 12:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I doubt this would do much to help a cold MN garage in the first place.

Old 09-15-18, 02:32 PM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
The average dryer puts out around 20K btu, a small garage heater puts out 60K btu.

Assuming no clothing, so no link, and no moisture it could work but not going to heat vrey fast!

Old 09-15-18, 04:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that is very informative response. Just what I was looking for. Appreciate it.

Old 09-15-18, 06:57 PM
H
Received 150 Votes on 131 Posts
I worked in an unheated 1.5 story garage for years, the most important thing I found was-

-only heat the air space you are working in-
Instead of installing a diverter to heat the garage, I'd get an additional 20' of exhaust hose so you can direct the warm air at yourself and the project,, instead of trying to heat the entire garage.

I'd also suggest reducing the volume of space being heated, I used to drape a clear plastic drop cloth between the roof's collar ties to create a sort of "2 walls and a ceiling" space which helped keep the heat from my small heater from going straight up to the peak of the roof.

If it was really cold, or the project would take a while, sometimes I'd lay a lighter plastic drop cloth at 90 degrees to drape down as right and left walls and create "4 walls and a ceiling" That helps quite a bit, because you're only heating a much smaller space.

Also helps to accumulate a couple of large pieces of cardboard (like flat TV or refridgerator boxes) and lay them out so you're not laying directly on cold concrete to work under a car, also seems to help keep the heat from being sucked into the cold concrete floor,
Better yet (if youi can scrounge them) are the newer 4' x 6' corrugated plastic signs (usually for elections), I've got 2, since the plastic is a bit slippery, you can slide one over the other so you don't really need a creeper to slide around under a car.

Old 09-16-18, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
One other thing you need to consider is that a clothes dryer uses a thermostat on the air outlet to control the heating element.
It will only put out its rated capacity with a tub full of wet clothes!

You would be better off using a 240 volt heater and just plug it into the dryer outlet with an adapter.

Old 09-18-18, 06:27 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Code Code Code! If the dryer is in the living space it can not have an opening in the garage. This is for your safety. Fire, CO, gas, odors, etc.

Old 09-18-18, 11:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Nice catch, airman - I didn't notice the dryer was still in the house when I read this the first time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: