Fire department Inspection?

Old 01-05-19, 09:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fire department Inspection?

I have a funny question. If I ask the fire department to test my basement for carbon monoxide, do you think they'll make me fix unrelated out-of-code issues that they happen to see while down there? (Old house, I'm sure some things are safe but not up to code.)

Thanks!

(BTW I have a CO detector down there, but I imagine theirs is more sensitive.)

Old 01-05-19, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,047 Upvotes on 3,631 Posts
I know the fire department will check for CO if there is an issue. Not sure if you can set up an appointment to have it checked. Most likely... yes if it's a hometown fire department.

In a business..... the fire inspector can have it closed if there is a major problem. For the most part in a home.... they would make recommendations if they saw an out-of-code issue that could be a threat to life safety. If they find a high CO level in the house you will need to exit it.

Old 01-05-19, 10:09 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 273 Upvotes on 215 Posts
If they find fire related code violations, they may, but that depends on if they have authority to do so. Different departments may have to get involved to make enforcement calls.
If the fireman that comes out cant enforce fire related code issues, he may be able to contact:
The local fire code enforcement division of the fire dept or,
the city code enforcement division or,
the states fire marshall's office.

If they see codes outside of fire related issues, they may have to contact the city code enforcement division. They will be able to enforce any construction, plumbing, electrical etc issues.

This is not to say that they will do anything even if they do see something. It just depends on who comes out to test. He may or may not look for, be educated on codes, or care about issues. The size of the department & how detailed they are could have some bearing on all that. Rural volunteer department vs Los Angeles station #1.
[FYI, I was a fire fighter for 12 years]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: