Moving or Expanding a Dryer Vent Box

Old 02-12-19, 08:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Moving or Expanding a Dryer Vent Box

In my laundry room, I have a 17" W x 17" H recessed dryer vent box that is about 8" off the floor. Problem is, my dryer's vent is basically floor level.

As you'll see from the picture below, it makes for somewhat of a complicated bend in order to connect the vent. The dryer ends up being about 6" out further from the wall than it needs to be.

I'd love to crowdsource a few ideas for how I could remedy this issue. Easiest (I think) would be to find a taller vent box that would go down to the floor, but I don't know if such a thing exists. If not, what would be the recommended method to move the existing one?

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-19, 09:06 AM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
One of these and a 90 deg. solid elbow at the top should do it.
https://www.homedepot.com/s/?search=dryer%20vent

Old 02-12-19, 09:06 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
An elbow and a periscope vent like this should do the trick.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpoo...87RP/202647900

Old 02-12-19, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
I don't like the periscope type as they are almost impossible to install. The box could be lowered but you can shorten the tube you have or use the flexible aluminum tube. If you use type I like tp put 2 4 inch 2x4's so you can't push dryer to far back and crush tube. Third picture here
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=dryer+vent+tube

Old 02-12-19, 09:51 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
FYI Joe and Pugsl: neither of your links came up with the items I think you were referencing.

Old 02-12-19, 10:02 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Pugsl on the periscope option. Plus, the location of the vent pipe in the wall is off-center from my dryer, so I'd likely have to install 2 elbows and then the periscope...ugh!

I did find this guy, which being 24" in height would fit perfect from the floor to the top of the existing box...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/306812986

I think I'm going to give this a shot

Old 02-12-19, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
If it was me I'd take that insert out and box the wall out to the size I wanted.

Old 02-12-19, 11:33 AM
A
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
Can't tell for sure looking at the picture, and might not know until you try it, but I think my first shot would be with three flexible metal elbows; one to get the vertical run horizontal and the other two to transition the height and lateral offset. Yes, I know that you would not want three elbows in that close proximity to one another, but they can be manipulated around to various configuration, and in this case one of them would be configured as an elbow but the other two would be offsets. Not saying it will work, but might be worth stopping by your local hardware or big box, pick up one and see just what you could accomplish.

Old 02-12-19, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
If it was me I'd take that insert out and box the wall out to the size I wanted.
+1.

Remove the snap ring and take the box out, cut the drywall out so that the rough opening goes all the way to the floor. (remove baseboard) Reinstall the box, extending the duct as needed. Repair the drywall. Put the snap ring back on the box. Reinstall baseboard, cut it flush with the snap ring edges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: