Creating New Vent off of Feedstack

Old 02-19-19, 07:18 AM
P
Received 27 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Creating New Vent off of Feedstack

Apologies if my terminology is a bit off here; I'll do my best to be as clear as possible.

I have a hydroair zone in my house where the blower sits in an insulated, but unconditioned utility closet. The blower unit stands upright and the feedstack comes off of the top and up into the ceiling to branch out into nearby rooms. The utility closet (5x15ft) is fully insulated but sits mainly at outdoor temperatures because it is not conditioned. Between heating cycles, the entire blower unit cools down to near outside temperature (southern New England) and also, cool air is leaking into the adjoining rooms, I suspect up through the ceiling where the feed stack enters.

Along with using spray foam to seal off any leaks in the ceiling, I want to cut into the feed stack to add a small duct/vent with a manual damper. I think dumping some heat into this room will minimize lag time to getting hot air out of the registers and avoid the need to heat up the entire unit each time it cycles as it won't cool down to outside temperatures nearly as quickly.

My questions: The feed stack is one of those large rectangular sheet metal ducks that is insulated. What is the best way to cut into this? Should I add a short run of duct-work away from the stack or just mount a damper/register right on it? Or, more importantly, is this a dumb idea and I shouldn't bother?

Old 02-19-19, 07:39 AM
P
Received 27 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Here is what I am picturing using:

back-draft damper
Starting Collar
Register
Vent

My thoughts are I could just trace out a 4" circle, drill a starting hole and then use metal shears to trim around the circle. Again, let me know if this is a terrible idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: