Rheem vs Goodman Central AC

Old 02-24-19, 10:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rheem vs Goodman Central AC

I need to get my home AC replaced before summer begins this year. I agree that how it's installed is more important than what brand of AC gets installed. Looking at my choice, it looks like Rheem and Goodman 14 seer 3 ton outdoor unit with indoor evap coils are will cost me about the same.

1) Which brand is easier for the technician to install? My out going existing system is Trane both outdoor unit and indoor evap coil.
2) Any difference in reliability of either brand, if any? and in overall cost of ownership.
3) Will the new outdoor units come pre-filled with Puron refrigerant so I don't have to pay for Puron refrigerant seperate?
4) I may be able to get it financed w/ 0% APR through Synchrony Bank. I already have a bank account with Synchrony Bank. Any experience in financing AC system purchase? If I don't finance, the contractor is asking for the whole amount at the time of financing which is a bit concerning.

Thanks for your advices.

Old 02-25-19, 04:54 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Both those units likely have the same brand of internal components. It really is how well the units installed, over the name on the box.
Do you really need 3 tons? Is your ductwork capable of handling 3 tons?
Will this company commission the equipment once installation is complete? Will a commissioning report be completed and provided once that’s done?

Old 02-25-19, 06:38 AM
B
I meant to type: If I don't finance, the contractor is asking for the whole amount at the time of signing the contract before any work is done which is a bit concerning.

As for tonnage, my existing unit is 3 ton and my existing indoor coil is 3.5 ton. Perhaps I can go with 2.5 ton to save money and if I plan on moving within next 5 years...? I doubt if the contractor will complete a report.

Old 02-25-19, 06:49 AM
R
Replacing like for like is not recommended. You could possibly downsize, as most installs suffer from oversized equipment and undersized duct.
Your contractor should be willing to complete a manual J and manual S load calculation to determine sizing. Bigger equipment is not better.
If you lack the appropriate duct, your 3 ton unit will never actually put out 3 tons.

Old 02-25-19, 08:06 AM
B
I'm sure contractors in my area are not going to include manual S and J load calculations in free in-home estimates. More than likely, they are not going to do it unless I ask for it, and it will be at a cost... Do contractors tend to want to sell bigger units? Of course, I can understand there will be monetary benefit in selling bigger units over smaller units. Both my neighbors on my left and right of my home got their replaced and their new unit is bigger than their previous units. One contractor wanted me to choose 3.5 ton unit based on the # of air vents on floor and ceiling inside my home. In my home, my above grade living area is 1960 SF and basement area is 500 SF. At my SFage, can I go with 2.5 ton even if my ductwork will support 3 ton?

Old 02-25-19, 08:07 AM
R
What size is the duct on the air handler?

Old 02-25-19, 09:25 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
The equipment cost difference going from 2.5 to 3 or 3.5 is minimal but the upcharge you would pay isn't. Putting in the largest possible system is good for the sales guys as when it is first turned on the customer is happy to get the blast of the cold air and the house cools quickly. Problem can be that it cools too quickly so doesn't remove moisture. The higher humidity means you have to lower the temperature to feel comfortable and even then it feels more like a refrigerator than a house.

Old 02-25-19, 10:29 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you need to find another contractor. If they aren't doing the Manuel J what other areas are the skipping out on? No vac to 500 microns? No triple evac? No nitrogen by brazing? I see your electric bill $15 extra every month from using a contractor that cut corners. In my area Low end equipment + low end install stay away from Goodman.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 02-25-19, 11:40 AM
B
How do I find the size of the duct on the air handler? I have a split hvac system. My home is a townhome. Please see the pics at below links. Let me know if you need more pics to advise me. I really appreciated it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkp0rch1gr...43040.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgy2t9tydk...43107.jpg?dl=0

Another question, it appears like smaller tonnage units don't seem to be Energy Star rated. With Goodman, you have to go up to at least 4 ton to get Energy Star rated unit based on how the contractor website advertises. How much does Energy Star rating matter? I think non Enenrgy Star unit will still use less electricity than my 15 year old unit..

Old 02-25-19, 11:49 AM
R
The two metal ducts, supply and return, what are the demensions of both?

Old 03-01-19, 03:26 AM
S
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
I do not know where you are located but I have 3 ton A/C unit that cools a ranch home with a finished basement about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, Pa. I have 2000 sq ft on the 1st floor and the same sq ft in the finished area = 4000 sq ft. My 3 ton is more than adequate and when I need to replace it I may have the contractor reduce it to a 2-1/2 ton unit so it will de-humidify better. In the summer I have to run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in check. A larger unit will cool the house quickly but it takes a longer run time to reduce the humidity. my 2 cents.

Old 03-04-19, 06:20 AM
B
I am not sure if I'm locating the supply and return duct correct, but I think supply is the metal box duct connected to the bottom where air blower is located. This metal box duct has the air filter put in, and this duct which I believe is the supply is about 15.5 by 25 inches. I'm thinking the return is the metal box duct right on top of evaporator coil, and that is about 20 by 21.5 inches. Please let me know if it sounds like I'm locating it wrong. I am in Central Maryland. Will 2.5 ton outside unit and 2.5 ton indoor evaporator coil suffice? I have a split system meaning AC in on electricity and heater on gas. I thank you for your advices.

If the smaller unit pushes out the humidity better, but cools the home slower than bigger unit, doesn't that mean smaller unit uses up more electricity?

Old 03-04-19, 07:09 AM
R
Post a photo of the air handler and associated duct.
No, a smaller unit will not use more electricity. The cycling of an oversized unit uses more.
As to the size, only a load calculation will show what’s needed.

Old 03-04-19, 04:47 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
You have your supply and return ducts backwards. The supply is off the top and return with the filter comes in the bottom of the furnace. The square box coming off the evaporator coil on top of the furnace is called a plenum. You want to measure the trunk size duct or ducts coming off the plenum. The small or B side will be 8, 10, or 12. The A side depends how many trunks you have coming off the plenum. The trunk should be large enough to accommodate 1200 cfm's if you have a 3 ton and it decreases from there as you start running supply lines .

It decreases because as you install the individual runs you need the trunk to supply less CFM's and create better airflow.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Last edited by spott; 03-04-19 at 05:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: