Where to vent gas dryer

Old 03-25-19, 01:09 PM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Where to vent gas dryer

My options to vent my gas dryer in my garage are:

1) One of those plastic trays you put water in that are labeled "for use in mobile homes only", this is what the house had when we bought it.

2) Straight up, about 14 feet from the floor of the garage to the roof.

3: Up and over the door from the kitchen to the garage, down, (or straight over?) to the outside, about six feet from the edge of the door to the outside.

None of them appeal to me or seem safe....any ideas?

Old 03-25-19, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Always best if you can duct a gas dryer outside.
Those plastic trays usually say for electric dryers on them.

Straight up thru the roof would work.
Two negatives.... lint on the roof and the roof needs to be penetrated and a cap installed.

Old 03-25-19, 03:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
2 sounds best but, as Pete advised, does require some effort.

Old 03-26-19, 06:59 AM
I
Thanks, others have suggested number 2. I just can't imagine the power of the dryer being able to blow the lint straight up 14 feet. Honestly that can work? Am I over thinking the density of lint????

I guess I see the lint caught in the dryer lint trap and can't visualize that stuff being blown up a 14 foot duct. I suppose most of the lint goes in the lint trap and just ??? smaller stuff exits the dryer via the duct.

Old 03-26-19, 07:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
There isn't much mass/weight to lint so it's pretty easy for the dryer to blow it up and out. For best results the exhaust duct run should be kept as short as possible. Also 90 degree bends should be avoided.

The overall length of a dryer vent should not exceed 35 feet. Every 45 degree bend counts as 2 1/2 feet and each 90 degree counts as 5 feet. Also, the vent should be smooth walled, galvanized steel. No plastic, metalized plastic or aluminum for fire protection.

----

My dryer exhaust duct is at the maximum allowable length. At least twice a year I clean the lint out of it. The majority of the lint collects near the outlet end with almost none collecting near the dryer. So, keep the duct run as short as possible.

Old 03-26-19, 01:46 PM
I
I feel so stupid, I have read and been told I could vent it through the roof....but kept visualizing the lint I remove from the lint trap....

I can put my mind at ease and finally vent my dryer properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: