What kind of dryer vent cap do you like?

Old 03-26-19, 12:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What kind of dryer vent cap do you like?

I appreciate the advice about the ducting in the other thread, but I also want a recommendation for a dryer vent cap. I am not concerned about cold air getting past it because about 10 feet or so of ducting will be run through crawl space, but I want something that will keep rodents out for sure. I see louvered kinds , the kind with the flapper and the hood, or even this kind. I even ran across this style which I have not seen before. In your experience, which performs best as far as keeping rodents out and considering this long duct run I have? The dryer has been taking a long time for as long as I can remember and I am sure this ducting is a big part of it.

Old 03-26-19, 12:23 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
IMO stick with the louvered and the flapper. look like they would be less restrictive when it comes to air flow. Also when the lovers and flapper break you will most likely be able to pull parts off and replace rather than replace the unit.

Old 03-26-19, 12:57 PM
D
If I use the louvers or flappers, I just need to get one with the screen over it, right? Because I have a flapper one now and the flapper doesn't fully shut when the dryer is off. I suppose even if it did, a rodent could open it up anyways. So maybe something like this?

Old 03-26-19, 01:10 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
You mention not being concerned about drafts because of the routing of the duct, but keep in mind that condensation is possible at whatever point the warm humid air meets cold, and that condensation is going to reduce the effectiveness of the draft. How much of an issue is it? I don't know, but the slower you can keep the outside are at the perimeter of the structure the better off you will be. And heat loss is usually a combination of little things, so a little bit here and a little bit there adds up. That said, I have installed a few of the last one you linked for others, and just going by looks I'd guess it's the most effective as far as keeping mice and drafts at bay. My only concern with that style though is that it looks to me like you need to have a pretty efficient flow to lift that ball, although it's pretty light so maybe not much of an issue. Personally though, I have something like the second one you linked, which has a flapper behind that screen, and the part I like about it is that the screen stays in place well enough that I don't worry about mice getting past it but it still pops off easy enough for a quick inspection and cleaning.

Old 03-26-19, 09:01 PM
D
While I was at Lowe's getting the duct, I saw this one and ended up buying it. It was the only metal one and even though this isn't going to be exposed to the rain or anything, I like how sturdy this feels including the flapper. Even though there is no screen, it looks like it shuts pretty tight. What do you guys think?

Old 03-27-19, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
What ever you do do not put a screen over it. Repaired dryers and can't tell you how many of those I have seen clogged and causing dryer problems.

Old 03-27-19, 03:34 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You are concerned about critter getting in. What kind of critters are you concerned about? Insects, like bees and wasps or rodents like mice? Very unlikely either will invade a dryer vent. Especially if used on a regular basis. The lover types are the most common. What you bought is fine. The only disadvantage is that they tend to stick out too far and typically get hit with lawn mower.

Old 03-27-19, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Noting worse than taking a dead mouse or squirrel out of dryer squirrel cage.

Old 03-27-19, 08:27 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Nothing worse than taking a dead mouse or squirrel out of dryer squirrel cage.
I think TWO dead mice in an automobile cabin fan on a hot summer day is worse. But not as bad as decomposed squirrels in a rain barrel in spring.

Old 03-27-19, 09:28 AM
D
I guess I was concerned about mice or rats because I just got rid of getting them out of the crawlspace and maybe am a little paranoid about them going in the duct! So the rodent cages or screens are bad, huh? Is it due to them getting clogged with lint? I know how that is because I have one on now and every time I remember to take a look at it, it is filled with lint. Maybe I will keep what I have then. It won't get hit with a lawnmower because it is located under a deck.

Old 03-27-19, 10:31 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
it is located under a deck
I had problems with that. See post #7 in this thread:

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...re-hazard.html

Old 03-27-19, 10:46 AM
D
Hey that is a great post. Makes total sense if it is right under a deck like that, but there is like at least 4 or maybe even 5 feet of clearance under the deck. Thanks for the tip though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: