Booster fan for dryer not working

Old 09-28-19, 05:29 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Booster fan for dryer not working

The booster fan for the stacked dryer in my condo is not working.

The fan is a reversomatic TLD 200. It uses 120vac and draws .7A. If I run 120vac directly to the motor (thru the capacitor connected to it), it will run smoothly and quietly, as it should.

I have determined the cause of the motor not starting is that it is only getting 65vac. Further, the 65vac is present regardless of whether the dryer is running. I would expect it to only be present when the dryer is running, or stop soon after the dryer stops.

The 65vac is being supplied by an ac outlet in the closet where the washer and dryer are located. This outlet is labeled "washer" on the breaker panel. However my washer doesn't use this outlet because its a stacked unit and instead uses the 240vac connector for the unit.

I think the booster fan is activated with a current switch, as I cant see a pressure switch in the ducting.

Is it possible that the current switch has shorted (with some resistance still present, hence the 65vac instead of 120vac)? The switch would be 16 years old?

Where would I find the current switch, its not in the breaker panel. Could it be in the 240 outlet box? Its very difficult to pull the stacked unit out of the closet to check the 240vac outlet box and I dont want to do this until im fairly certain its necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-19, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
The model you left is for a booster fan only. A current sensing power switch would have been an option added on. A current sensor would need to be clamped over one of the dryer legs of power.
Reversomatic TLD-200 manual (pdf)

I checked further with Reversomatic and they offer the DAS-250 current sensing relay. The relay attaches on one leg of the power to the dryer. Your problem is that the dryer is not tripping the relay and in the tech specs they specifically mention stacked appliance. That module sounds ok but is not turning on.
Reverseomatic DAS-250 manual (pdf)

Old 09-29-19, 04:05 PM
L
Thqnk younfor finding that info. I was on the reversomatic site and was readjng about the tld200 fan, but did not find that info about the current switch.

The dryer isnt tripping the relay. However I know the dryer motor and heater are working, therefore I assume the problem is likely in the relay (or wiring).

BUT there is a steady 65vac at the conectors to the booster fan. I find this confusing. I would expect 0 vac if the dryer is off and 120vac when the dryer is on.

Any idea why i am getting 65vac regardless of the dryer running or not.

Could the current sensor switch be shorted and allowing part of the 120vac thru to the booster fan?

Old 09-29-19, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
I don't know if that uses a solid state switch or a relay but if you are using a digital meter.... you can be reading ghost/induced voltages from a dead wire being run next to a live wire.

Usually the power wire is run thru the current sensor clamp area. If the sensor doesn't work..... you can loop a wire thru the sensor one more time to increase the induced current in the sensor. It is shown in the current sensor info.

Old 09-30-19, 05:53 PM
L
I am using a digital meter, perhaps that is the ghosting resulting in a 65vac indicator.

I will replace the current sensor switch as per your suggestion.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: