Range hood venting - horizontally?

Old 11-08-23, 11:09 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Range hood venting - horizontally?

I have 3 options for venting the range (on an inside wall) with my kitchen renovation that I am planning now:

1) Vent up to the roof. This has to go through a 2nd floor and attic and will require a lot of work, patching, etc.
2) Vent across the room horizontally to the outside. The run would be about 12 feet and go through the joists which run that direction.
3) Get a recirculating hood.

I really don't want to do 1, but will 2 work? Would it require an outside blower/booster?

Old 11-08-23, 01:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,273 Upvotes on 2,025 Posts
3. Out of the question for me. No venting to the outside is almost useless.

2. This is a possibility if you want to box in the duct. You most likely will not be able to pass the exhaust duct through your joists unless the ceiling above is framed with tall scissor trusses. If your ceiling joists run parallel to the duct direction you might (hope, pray & beg) be able to run the duct inside the joist bay. This will require some ceiling patching and also relies on the bay being empty hence the hoping, praying and begging. Plumbing, electrical and HVAC ducting or a load bearing beam can complicate things quickly.

1. Possibly not much difference in work compared to #2. You go up and box in the duct in the floor above.

Most consumer level vent hoods will be very suseptible to back pressure. That means keep the exhaust duct run as short as possible and minimize 90 degree bends.

Old 11-08-23, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,122 Upvotes on 3,702 Posts
All depends on your cooking habits. I MUST have an outside vent,

I agree. A exhaust hood without an outside vent is useless. Strike # 3.
I would highly recommend not considering a microwave/hood combo.
Those exhaust fans are very weak. Would be useless in your application.
I would look into a higher output hood like a Nutone/Broan model.

So to use method two.... the vent would have to 90 from the hood and 4'-5' up the wall.
Then from the wall to the ceiling thru another 90 and into 12' of duct to outside.
That looks like two 90's and 16'-17' of duct.

To get maximum flow thru the wall you need to use 4x10 duct and then cut the top framing member.
Most hoods come set up for 4x10 ducting. Outside vents also come in 4x10.

Although it is possible to pan the studs and joists.... that would not be my choice.
I would stay with actual ducting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: