LG Washing machine sounds like motor grinding during cycles??

Old 10-25-14, 02:06 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LG Washing machine sounds like motor grinding during cycles??

We have an LG Model is WM2487HWMA front load washing machine. I checked our manual and it doesn't state anything about what is happening during our wash load.

I started a load of laundry this morning on delicate - 20 minutes cycle for this machine. About half way I heard this grinding noise like a bad motor or a bad water pump - and I don't even know if this machine has those things - but it sounded bad. I stopped the machine and removed what I was washing.

I tried a new load - in case it was the item I was washing (I was only washing one item and thought it might have made it unbalanced or something) - just wishful thinking on my part. I have washed it before with no problems.

The next load I did towels. I washed them on the cotton cycle. I watched the cycles and all of the work, it washes, rinses, spins, and still hear this horrible noise about mid cycle. Not at the beginning, and not during the end spinning of the cycle.

The washing machine works and sounds horrible during the middle of the cycle. This just started today.

Any ideas of what this could be?

Anyone know about the LG front loaders and components inside?

Thank you!

Old 10-25-14, 02:14 PM
S
Just to add to my question - there are not any error codes that come up on the display.

Thanks

Old 10-25-14, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I work on appliances but this is not one I'm totally familiar with. I do know this line had a rear tub bearing issue and that it was more effective to replace the drum with the bearing.

Is the noise present during the entire cycle ?

My partner will stop by... we'll see what he can add to this.

Old 10-25-14, 04:18 PM
S
The noise is not during the entire cycle. I don't know exactly - but it seems to be in the wash cycle - or rinse cycle...or both. It spins dry without making a noise. It fills up and starts without making any noise. There is also not any Error codes on the display.

Old 10-26-14, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Could be a couple of things. let washer get some water in it doesn't have to fill all way, put if in drain and spin and see if noise is when drain pump starts and runs or when tub is spinning. Pump noise will be low in front and a bearing noise will be in back. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-26-14, 09:16 AM
S
Okay we listened through the entire cycle. At the beginning it is adding water to the clothes. That is fine. During the wash cycle it spins in circles and then it stops and rocks a little back and forth. During that rocking part is when we hear that noise that sounds like a motor that is bad. Does it have an agitation pump or motor that works during that time. Next it spins some more and then stops to rock a little and we hear that noise again. This repeats through the entire wash cycle. Noise is from the back of the machine and not the front.

The water starts to drain to begin the rinse cycle and no noise. The rinse cycle spins the washer while draining and the sound happens some but not like the wash cycle.

The spin cycle starts off slowly for a few minutes and then goes into a very fast spin. There is not any noise during the spin cycle.

We did the speed wash 20 minute cycle on the LG Washer.

Does that help at all? Thanks!!

Old 10-26-14, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
There is a small panel on back, Take off and rotor is under there. Bolt may be loose or rotor is wearing out in center. Have seen either condition. If bolt tight take off and look at splines in rotor, Any wear showing no repair will need rotor.

Old 10-27-14, 04:54 PM
S
we pulled the rotor and it showed wear in the center hole and just starting to show some spline shavings in the plastic. I ordered a new one today that will arrive Wednesday. Hope that fixes it. I will update. Thanks

Old 06-24-16, 10:10 AM
M
What happens if the noise is coming from the front.

Old 06-24-16, 10:14 AM
M
Mine is and I cleaned the trap. Still grinding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: