Kenmore washer is skipping spin cycles!

Old 01-29-16, 09:34 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore washer is skipping spin cycles!

I have a Kenmore Series 80 washing machine. It skips the spin cycles (both between the wash and rinse cycle and at the end of the rinse cycle), but if I turn the nob around again and put it back on spin it will spin. How can I fix this?? Thanks!

Old 01-29-16, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Please post the model number for that washer. It can usually be found under the bottom of the lid.

It sounds like a timer issue but one question..... when it fails to spin..... is it empty of water and just sitting there with the motor running but not spinning ?

You can actually monitor the cycle.... it should agitate the clothes..... it should pause and then drain the water out and (this is important) it should pause for a few seconds after draining and then resume in spin. If you don't hear that pause after draining then most likely it is a timer issue.

Old 01-29-16, 12:33 PM
L
Thanks so much for your response! The model number is 11023822100.

Yes, it completely drains the water, pauses and then the nob slowly moves all the way to the end of the whole wash cycle. It never stops at the spin cycle.

Old 01-29-16, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Yes, it completely drains the water, pauses and then the knob slowly moves all the way to the end of the whole wash cycle. It never stops at the spin cycle.
While the timer is in the spin area..... do you hear the motor running ?

Did you try spin in any of the other cycles ?

We could be looking at a defective lid switch too.

Old 01-30-16, 02:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Sounds like timer but do you hear the motor running after it drains? With it draining don't think lid switch is bad but easy way to check.
To check lid switch. Find slot in top under lid. Put hand under switch and lift up. Use a pen or small screwdriver and push down on lever with washer in spin. turn on and if washer spins you need a lid switch.
On yours if you put your hand under lid switch and you don't feel any movement of switch body I think it will be ok. Usually the body of switch splits and you can push it up. One more thing to check.
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler. lean washer back against wall to look under it.
But if you don't hear any motor sounds after drains sounds like timer.

Old 02-01-16, 09:34 AM
L
So sorry for the late reply. We had a hectic wknd. My husband just decided to go ahead and purchase a new washing machine as we foresee many new problems coming up with this old one. Thank you so much for trying to help me!

Old 02-01-16, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Thanks for the update.................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: