GE oven: no bake or broil - clock and timer ok

Old 02-03-16, 10:28 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE oven: no bake or broil - clock and timer ok

I have a GE oven model# JKP16GP. I used it all the time but left it unused for a couple months. I had a cleaner clean the house and I think he cleaned the oven too (no using Sefl-Clean). Anyhow, now, the Timer and clock functions on the panel work but when I push Bake or Broil the clock time blinks but nothing happens. when I push Clean, the word "off" appears on the display and then goes away. I thought the child safety lock may be on but I tried to turn it on and off but that didn't help anything. The elements seem to be connected correctly but I don't know what else to check.

Last edited by bxr176; 02-03-16 at 10:58 AM. Reason: edit subject line for typos
Old 02-03-16, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Try turning power off at the breaker. Push breaker all the way in to the off position and then back on. If that doesn't help you'll need to check for 240vac at the back of the range.

There should be a receptacle there you can check it at.

Old 02-03-16, 11:02 AM
B
Initially, the entire display panel was off. I did turn the power off/on using the breaker and then the timer and clock started working (that was before I post my question). The access to the back of the oven is almost impossible since it is under the cabinet top and pretty much attached to neighboring cabinets. Is there a way to check that from front or inside the oven? Or is there any internal fuse or switch that can be blown or broken?

Old 02-03-16, 11:31 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Check the voltage between the two poles of the breaker. That will eliminate the breaker as your problem before you begin the job of accessing the oven wiring. You may have to pull the oven to do that. Please post the make and model number.

Old 02-03-16, 11:53 AM
B
make and model

Hi Ray,
I put the make and model in my original question. it is a GE JKP16GP

Old 02-03-16, 12:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
OOPs I read your post to quick.

Old 02-03-16, 11:37 PM
Group Moderator
That is an incomplete model number. I used JKP16GP1BG for a lookup.

I can't find much helpful info on your unit.
One parts list I was looking at says your unit has a thermal limiter in it which could cause the unit not to heat. I couldn't tell you where it is.

There isn't much you can do with the oven in place. It will need to come out to be taken apart. It's not an easy job but I don't think there is much you can do with it installed.

Old 02-04-16, 12:49 AM
since it is under the cabinet top and pretty much attached to neighboring cabinets
Sounds like the oven is under a cook top. If so, try lifting the cook top for access to oven wiring box. The cook top may or may not be secured to the counter top.

Old 02-04-16, 01:04 AM
Group Moderator
Brian.... it's a convection wall oven. I don't think there's a cooktop above it.
I believe it's screwed into wall cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: