Kenmore washer series 80 bypass drain through cycles

Old 02-26-16, 10:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore washer series 80 bypass drain through cycles

have a kenmore 80 model = 110.23812100.
Replaced the lid switch last summer, and it seems to be working fine.
Problem is when going from wash to rinse and rinse to spin the water is not being pumped out. If i manually move the system to Spin it pumps out the water while spinning.
For now i've been manually setting to spin, allowing the water out, then putting on rinse, and then manually back to spin again to pump out water.
agitator works, spins when it needs to, just doesn't seem to get the signal to dump out the water before going to rinse.

Old 02-26-16, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
To get it straight in my mind I will go through cycles. Water enters washer and than agitates, pause than motor will start and water pumped out, Pause than washer will spin. will refill in rinse (cold water only) and agitate. pause than will drain pause than spin, Does motor run when drain is suppose to happen?
In console there is a tech sheet that will have a cycle chart. To open console take off 2 plastic end caps. there is a screw under each and console will hinge up. Small screw driver under back top od plastic end caps and cap will pop off.

Last edited by pugsl; 02-27-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-27-16, 01:03 PM
J
water enters, agitates, no pause, no water pumped out, moves through rinse cycle, no pause, no water pumps out moves through spin, no water pumps out, and then ends. If i manually put to spin the water pumps out. Then i put it too rinse the water goes in, goes through rinse cycle, no pause, water does not pump out, moves to spin, no pause and no water goes out. Again i have to manually move it to spin for water to pump out. Doesn't do a good job of pumping out water, usually put it through spin again.
I've kept the lid up during cycles holding down the lid button to ensure agitation and spinning work, and they do.

Old 02-27-16, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the motor running when it is supposed to pump water out. I would guess it isn't. Does the timer keep turning? It sounds like timer but should not pump out just by manually turning dial. Does motor stop running between agitate and drain?

Old 02-28-16, 01:36 PM
J
doing some testing, motor runs continuous. Then out of the blue the system ran correctly. then i did a load and it didnt run correctly. Didn't know that the rinse started before the actual rinse line. so I think it might be training the last two minutes of the wash cycle, and then just not draining at the end of the rinse through the end of the spin.

Old 02-28-16, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not a common problem but it sounds like the points in the timer are sticking. Usually if they stick they will not come apart when knob is turned. Maybe just starting.

Old 02-29-16, 08:12 AM
J
the motor definitely keeps going. the system just keeps agitating through all the cycles to the end. Then i just put on spin, it spins and empties. I put back on rinse it fills up spins through to the end. I put back on spin it spins and empties.
so you are thinking it is faulty timer?

Old 02-29-16, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When timer is in the spin part of cycle push in timer knob to turn it off Than pull it out and see if it starts to drain and possibly spin. If so I think timer. Motor must stop to before drain and spin.
Does the timer knob keep turning but not change cycles?

Old 03-01-16, 12:57 PM
J
exactly the timer just keeps spinning but no actual change of cycles is happening. i'll have to try your test.

Old 03-02-16, 09:23 AM
J
watched the timer closely, it sits for awhile in one spot that moves forawrd quite a bit. Motor stays running the whole time. On spin i did as you suggested and yes, when i start it up again the motor stops the water pumps out and it continues on. timer isn't it?

Old 03-02-16, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like timer..................

Old 03-03-16, 04:50 AM
J
that's what i was leaning towards, just want to check with other more knowledgeable folk. thanks for the help.

Old 03-23-16, 09:50 AM
J
Thanks pugsl,
i replaced the timer last week and the machine has been running fine since.
Appreciate your input.

Old 03-23-16, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
yours was a strange problem, glad it worked

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: