Washer drum moving while tub is in spin cycle

Old 03-09-16, 10:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washer drum moving while tub is in spin cycle

Please help. I have a Maytag Performa top load washer model PAV2200AWW. The drum of the washer is moving while the tub is in spin cycle (sorry if these are correct terms, I am trying to explain this so it makes sense). Apx 1 month ago I replaced the snubber ring as the machine could not stay in balance even without anything in it. After I did this, the machine seemed to work fine. Last week I moved and ever since the drum goes crazy when in the spin cycle. Oddly enough, the first time I tried it, the drum was so wild it was smacking the side panels. Now a few days later, the drum still moves but not as wild. Please see the following link to youtube for the video I uploaded of the tub beginning the spin cycle and then drum beginning to move around. I was able to replace the snubber ring and that process is still fresh in my mind so any advice on what needs to be fixed would be wonderful. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

https://youtu.be/SO96k_QzWAQ

Old 03-09-16, 11:45 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I would say check that the snubber ring is properly installed or is not loose on its bracket.

Old 03-09-16, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Did you replace the 6 springs when you replaced the snubber ring?

Old 03-10-16, 09:31 AM
D
No I didn't replace the 6 springs. That's my theory as u can push the drum around fairly easily

Old 03-10-16, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Always recommended to replace springs with snubber.

Old 03-14-16, 07:09 AM
D
Replaced springs. Works much better. Tub doesn't move around as much. Spin cycle seems to be incredibly high/fast. Maybe I've never noticed how fast it is before? Or could there be something causing it to spin faster?

Old 03-14-16, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
here is diagram of your washer, did you take off the thrust bearing? part # 24, The ramp on that plastic part must have grease on it. Before I retired I used to call your washer a throw away, not worth putting much money in it.

Old 03-14-16, 10:52 AM
D
I don't seem to be able to see a diagram? Thank you very much for your help. I think we will replace the washer the next time it starts to give us any trouble!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: