Removing Washer Lid

Old 04-02-16, 07:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Removing Washer Lid

Kenmore Model: 110.92380200

I'm not attaching photos to this post, but there is a very good reason why I need to
remove the washer lid. I don't have have a basement and my utility room is small.

As you probably know, the lid hinges are just a flattened and bent steel rod. The
machine screws are a tiny #4 size. If a baby could use a screwdriver I'm sure he
could strip the heads of these old phillips screws!

I soaked the area with penetrating oil. If that doesn't work I'll have to drill the heads,
and I really don't want to do that. The paint on the lid is in excellent condition. Also,
there is a chance I could damage the sheet metal around the screws.

Besides oil and drilling, are there any "gentle" ways of removing these tiny screws?

Old 04-02-16, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
there is a very good reason why I need to remove the washer lid. I don't have have a basement and my utility room is small.
Ok.

It's not the heads that need to be soaked...... it's the threaded portion of the hinges. You may have to drill the heads and then use Vice Grips to grab the screw and remove it. The screws may be too corroded in the hinges requiring hinge replacement.

Name:  hinges.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  22.4 KB

Old 04-03-16, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Those screws usually come out fairly easy. remember to use either a good or new # 2 Phillips screwdriver. No You will have to jump lid switch and water will splash out when running.
PS our company would not work on one like that for liability reasons

Old 04-03-16, 09:39 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm not a fool. The penetrating oil was dripped onto the screw threads. I've used
several dozen types of thin lubes on frozen bolts and screws over many years. I've
also tried the freezing and heating methods to loosen stuck threads. Maybe I've just
been unlucky, but these techniques rarely work. Drilling on small fasteners or whacking
with hammers and pin punches on bolts are usually the only way to break corrosion.

I won't go into great detail right now, but I've developed a method for cleaning the
grime that oozes through the holes in the washer tub. It works 99% of the time, and
you don't have to remove the tub. If you can remove the washer lid, the cleaning
process is much easier. The washer is unplugged during the cleaning, so it's completely
safe. Several neighbors have tried my method and it works for them too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: