Refrigerator door won't stay closed

Old 05-26-16, 04:30 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator door won't stay closed

I'm trying to figure a way to keep and old refrigerator door closed. The door magnets are no longer available from the manufacturer. I've checked the door for warp and tried adjusting the hinges. I've added magnetic tape to supplement the seal magnets. At this point I'm thinking some kind of mechanical latch. Something that would have strong magnets to attach part to the side and part to the front. Does anything like this exist? Replacing the refrigerator is not an option right now. I suppose I could just use a bungee cord that runs from the back and hooks onto the refrigerator door handle.....a better option must exist?

Old 05-26-16, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The magnets are inside the gaskets. If the magnets are gone the gaskets must be shot.

I don't know of any store bought remedy to hold the door shut.

Old 05-26-16, 04:51 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
A mechanical latch is illegal.

Old 05-26-16, 05:44 PM
Yes, please no padlocks or latches. Back in the day it was all too common for a child to get trapped in a fridge, suffocating.

I can't see the condition of your seals, but it helps to clean both the seals and the door frame with warm soapy water. Rinse and dry the parts and you might get a better seal.

I don't know how it is in MA, but here there are organizations that will go out of their way to provide you with a new fridge free of charge, this is for elderly and those in need of help. The reasoning is safety and saving energy, along with just helping.
The organizations include the power company if you can believe that, they will spend money on your house in order to save costs of transmission or building new plants.

Old 05-26-16, 06:55 PM
J
Maybe one of those latches used to keep young children out?

Old 05-27-16, 03:57 AM
Again no mechanical means are allowed. But what Brian says is good info. You don't say why you can't get another fridge and that's OK. Did you check Amazon and e-Bay for replacement door gaskets?

Old 05-27-16, 06:06 AM
J
There is a local appliance repair parts company that I have used for years. The owner has been really helpful with troubleshooting and locating parts. I took him at his word when he said that there was no replacement available. He suggested what to check out, e.g. warped door, hinge adjustment, etc. The refrigerator is at my wife's mother's house. My wife's mother requires 24 X 7 care in her own home which is costly and I'm trying to keep unnecessary expenditures to a minimum.

Old 06-27-16, 05:52 AM
J
I bought a couple of welding magnets. I put one magnet on the refrigerator door and the other magnet on the side of the refrigerator. I modified the magnet casings so that I could hook a small bungee cord onto them. The cord hooks onto the two magnets and helps hold the door closed. The magnets are strong when used for their intended purpose but slide on the refrigerator surface with very little force. They provide just enough hold to keep the door closed with the small bungee.

Old 06-27-16, 06:12 AM
I don't mean to be-labor the point (that statement in fact says that I do want to be-labor the point, strange how our language works.) Anyway, the time and money spent on your makeshift solution seems as though you could've better spent the time and money on a new or used refrigerator. I understand your predicament but there must be some type of social services that could provide a safe and usable refrigerator. I urge you to contact local social services. It will make your life and hers a lot easier.

Google: "list of social service agencies in Massachusetts".

Old 06-27-16, 06:25 AM
J
Unfortunately the financial situation is such that there is too much to qualify for this type of assistance and not enough to justify the purchase of a new/used refrigerator. My solution cost less than $10 and I unfortunately have the time. FWIW the whole situation has us in somewhat of a financial squeeze and I'm trying to minimize unnecessary expenditures.
Thank You. I appreciate that you have taken the time to respond and offer good suggestions.

Old 06-27-16, 06:54 AM
Electricity costs are ridiculous out here.

If electric cost is an issue in your area, don't forget a new fridge will save you quite a bit on your electric bill. I'm talking pretty substantial savings.

Old 06-27-16, 07:17 AM
J
Electricity is expensive here too. Not to be morbid but my wife's mother's health is deteriorating so this could be a short term solution.....if it's a financial decision the payback time period may be too long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: