GE Refrigerator not cooling properly

Old 06-01-16, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GE Refrigerator not cooling properly

I have a GE French door refrigerator model PFS22SISSS that is about 10 years old. It isnít cooling properly. The freezer get down to 6F and fridge is where it should be at about 35F. I have done anything yet such a played with the controls since it was working fine until a couple of days ago. The compressor sounds like it is running constantly except perhaps when it goes into a defrost cycle. At its worst the freezer was at 14 and the fridge was about 38F. But it has been running for about 36 hours and is only down to 6F. Seems like it should not take that long. It has been hot and humid here and both the fridge and freezer are very full. Would cleaning the coils with a fridge brush help in this case?

Old 06-01-16, 08:53 AM
A
Upside Down Fridge

In the 'old' days it has been said that if you invert the refrigerator (when its off) for 24 hours thiss would allow the refrigerant to collect in its correct location - not usre if it works with 'modern ones' but might be worth a try..

Old 06-01-16, 09:06 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Hi, AlienPirate, welcome to the best DIY forum on the Internet.

I've been involved with refrigeration systems going back to the 1960s and I NEVER heard anything more ridiculous in my life. The refrigerant AND oil circulate throughout the entire system, it does not "pool" anywhere. Turning a refrigerator upside down is an excellent way to destroy it.

55chevy, you MAY be low on refrigerant or it may simply be a problem of too much dust and lint on the condenser coil. Cleaning the condenser may be all that is necessary. I don't know about your specific refrigerator but condenser coils are often at the very bottom of the unit and may require you to remove a back panel for thorough access. Check that the condenser fan is running and when cleaning do not disturb any baffles that direct air flow across the condenser.

Old 06-08-16, 03:19 PM
here is an update. The frige did get down to 0 and 35 eventually but it took almost 2 days. Now when the door is open just for a minute or so the temp goes back up to 6-10 and 40 or so. It will cool back down but it takes a long time to do it.

I just cleaned ran a brush through the coils and vacuumed where ever I could reach inside. I'll see if that helps but I'm starting to think it might be the main control board because when the unit was fairly new and under warranty it was acting a bit like this and they came out and pout a new main board in and that fixed it. If that seems to be the problem could I take care of that myself if I can buy the board?

Old 06-08-16, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Now when the door is open just for a minute or so the temp goes back up to 6-10 and 40 or so. It will cool back down but it takes a long time to do it.
That is fairly normal and one reason to not leave the doors open. How long does it take to recover ?

Is the compressor running all the time when it's trying to recover ?
Is the condensor fan under the fridge clean and running when the compressor is ?

I would doubt its the control board. It just turns the compressor on and off. If the compressor is running almost non stop then it's not the board.

Old 06-08-16, 09:33 PM
F
In order to meet energy guidelines they are putting smaller and smaller refrigeration units in both refrigerators and freezers. This means that the "compressor" WILL run for longer periods of time although the smaller unit takes less energy. The end result is that just a small increase of the inside temperature takes a long time to bring back down to the desired temperature.

Old 06-12-16, 07:49 AM
I cleaned the dust of the coils and the grill work on the back cover. The grill vents were really almost closed up. Fridge seems more normal now. Temp still goes up under normal opening and closing while cooking etc maybe 4 and 38 but comes back down to where it should be 0 and 35. and the compressor does shut down then It does take a while to get back there though; at least 4 hours maybe more. But for now I'll live with it. It is summer in the mid Atlantic and hot and humid.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-12-16, 12:44 PM
F
Your problem is not uncommon and is worse when you have only a few items in both the freezer and refrigerator sections. The more items the greater the mass of chilled items and the slower the temperature rise when the door is open. At the same time the larger mass will allow the temperature rise when opening the door to drop faster.

If nothing else, try storing a lot of bottled water in the refrigerator section. For the freezer load it up with frozen food when on sale.

Old 06-12-16, 10:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
For the freezer load it up with frozen food when on sale.
Don't forget the ice cream too.

When my freezer gets empty I bag extra ice and leave it in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: