Samsung Front Loading Washer Powers On but Won't Start

Old 06-02-16, 11:32 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Samsung Front Loading Washer Powers On but Won't Start

My Samsung Front Loading Washer powers on, but won't start.

Pushing the Start (Play/Pause) button or holding it down for a few seconds does nothing.

All the indicator lights all light up. I can spin the selector dial and choose a few different options, but then eventually the keypad locks up.

I've tried switching off the circuit breaker for 1-minute, but that did nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks

Name:  2016-06-02 13.34.08_rs.jpg
Views: 21588
Size:  35.9 KB

Old 06-02-16, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
We're going to need the model number.

Old 06-02-16, 12:12 PM
S
Model #: WF363BTBEUF/A1

Something I just noticed -- whether the door is open or closed, the status lights stay the same. Maybe the latch/lock mechanism? I'm only guessing.

Old 06-02-16, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Could not find a tech sheet for your washer. When you close door the lights don't change? Have replaced door locks many times on them. Also have found out control panel problems. here is a manual but cost 15$
https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....d-repair-guide
To get to door lock you take clamp off front of boot and go through there. One other question did the water drain out?

Old 06-02-16, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I checked all my usual sources.... couldn't find a tech sheet either.
That manual looks like an excellent investment.

Old 06-02-16, 01:19 PM
S
I'll check out the manual.

I took out the lock assembly and tested the open/close switch with a meter, it works.

I'm not sure of the solenoid switch in the lock assembly has anything to do with this problem. I think it just locks the door after the tank has filled with water and it starts the wash phase to prevent the door from being opened.

Maybe the lock/latch assembly might not be the problem.

Good video on taking the rubber seal off and getting to the lock assembly
https://youtu.be/3dLhBoBC1DM

Old 06-02-16, 01:22 PM
S
One other question did the water drain out?
Yes. I also drained and cleared the filter behind the little access door at the bottom front left of the washer.

Old 06-02-16, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the pump drain or did you drain it when you opened the filter? Should have been about a quart of water left in washer after pump stopped. If pump drained it than it is ok.

Old 06-02-16, 02:51 PM
S
It drained properly. You are correct, there was about a quart of water left in the washer.

Old 06-02-16, 03:01 PM
S
Found some troubleshooting docs and the Service Manual:

None of it mentions a "stuck" user screen with all the status lights lit, but won't start.

Fast Track Troubleshooting Samsung Washer WF361 WF363 WF365
http://www.pcrichard.com/images/prom...63%20wf361.pdf

Link to other WF363 Fast Track Troubleshooting and Service Manual
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/inde...99517#msg99517
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/inde...84369#msg84369

Old 06-02-16, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
retired about 2 years ago and don't remember how to get into test mode. I remember it was easy. If I could find a tech sheet I could help better.

Old 06-02-16, 03:19 PM
S
The Fast Track Troubleshooting docs I linked above say how to get into Test Mode and Service Mode

Quick Test Mode (power off) = Soil + Spin + Power
Service Mode (power on) = Steam + Signal

I tried the reset EEPROM memory in Service Mode and got the response = "9oo" which I think is LED-speak for "Good"

When I enter the Quick Test Mode, I get the response that cycles back and forth, "13-" and "-04". I think this might be the firmware version. Spinning the dial displays other stuff and then eventually says "2E" and the inputs are locked (except Power, power still works).

Old 06-02-16, 05:59 PM
S
Trying to narrow down the problem...

Pump - Probably not the pump, there was just a quart of water in the tank after the last time it ran.
Cleanout filter - Cleaned out the filter and the filter receptacle of debris
Door Lock - Maybe not. I removed it and disassembled and reassembled it, and it looked fine. I checked the door closed switch with a meter for open and close, and it works
Keypad - All the buttons and dial seem to respond or make beeps

I'm starting to think it's a power supply or circuit board problem. After I turn on the washer, the status lights are lit -- wash, rinse, spin, add garment, speaker.
I can spin the dial and the LED to indicate my selection moves and the wash time duration timer changes.
I can press the Temp, Spin, and Soil buttons and they cycle through all the options.
I can press the Delay, Steam, Pure, and Signal buttons and it toggles on/off those options fine.
I can chord the Spin and Soil buttons and it toggles the Child Lock on/off fine.

...but after about 10-20 keypresses, the whole keypad locks up except the power button.

Circuit board? Power supply? Something else?

Old 06-03-16, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Never had to replace power supply doubt it is that. On your machine. control board is one unit. All functions work I would guess control board.
Google WF363BTBEUF/A1 parts and buy part with a 365 return policy. 3rd one down looks to be first one but look for best price.

Old 06-03-16, 05:38 AM
S
I found the part #s for the Main Board, Sub Board, and Door Lock. It's about $250 in parts, I guess I could buy all 3 and return what I don't need.

Main PCB: DC92-00686D
Sub PCB: DC92-00303R
Door Lock: DC64-02032A

If I had to replace the circuit boards, would you think it's the Main or Sub board, or no way to know so buy both?

The cheapest part is the door lock, and because it's mechanical, it's the part I would think would wear out first. Do you think that if the solenoid switch in the door lock doesn't actuate to lock the door, that could prevent the program from starting the wash cycle?

Old 06-03-16, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is there a code for door lock, does it lock? I think control board if it locks but I can't tell which one. I would get them all and return what you don't need.

Old 06-03-16, 08:39 AM
S
There is a code for the door lock.
The display does not show the door lock error code. It actually shows no error codes at all.

There is a diagnostic test for the door lock to lock/unlock.
I tried the door lock lock/unlock diagnostic test several times, it did nothing.

The Samsung Fast Track Troubleshooting document (for Technicians) mentions several error codes for the door switch or door lock, but I'm getting no error codes at all. They say if the door lock motor (I've been calling it a solenoid switch, it's actually a motor) checks out, then replace the Main PCB.

I'll probably end up buying the Main PCB, Sub PCB, and Door Lock assembly (with lock motor) and trying one at a time until it works. I actually just ordered a new Door Lock assembly on eBay for $26 shipped, which was half of Amazon or an appliance parts supplier. It already shipped and it's easy to replace without taking apart the washer -- I already took out the old one easily. If a new Door Lock doesn't work, I'll order the Main PCB and Sub PCB and take the washer apart.

Old 06-03-16, 09:19 AM
S
I recorded a video showing me trying to do a check of the Diagnostic Codes. During the Diagnostic code check, it will lock up and show code "2E". The service manual suggest that 2E may indicate a faulty Main PCB.

Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/BPBbINBCpHk

Old 06-03-16, 11:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good video, Looks like the board. If you need help getting to it I can help.

Old 06-06-16, 08:07 PM
S
OK, this makes no sense.

I left the washer alone for the last 3 days, still plugged in and circuit breaker on.

I just heard a chime sound from the laundry closet 15 minutes ago. I turned on the washer, hit Start, and it started working. I stopped it, put a load of laundry in, chose some options, hit Start, and it's working like normal.

I have no idea why after sitting for 3 days, it made a chime sound, then started working again. Water on a circuit that dried up?

Yesterday, one suggestion from the vendor AppliancePartsPros.com who actually responded to my questions, was that the Sub board which is the interface to the control panel buttons, was sending garbled commands to the Main board and he suggested replacing just the Sub board.

Now the washer is working for no apparent reason.

I have no idea.

Old 06-07-16, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will just be guessing what part is giong bad. Intermittion problems are the hardest to fix. Most likely not the door lock.

Old 06-08-16, 07:21 AM
S
It konked out again this morning when I tried to do a load of wash. Same symptoms, won't Start.

I'm going to go ahead and order the Main and Sub circuit boards from AppliancePartsPros as they recommended and return the one that I don't need.

Old 06-08-16, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
After they come in install the one you think and save the other one a couple of weeks encase you picked the wrong one.

Old 06-08-16, 11:01 AM
S
Very good advice! Thanks for sticking with me on this thread.

Old 06-08-16, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem just keep us updated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: