Fridgidaire freezer issue

Old 06-18-16, 07:05 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridgidaire freezer issue

Upright freezer model # LFFH21F7HWG. The freezer will cool to temperature then at some point after that it will just shut off (no fan running but light on). Not sure how long it stays at freezing temp as have not watched it for hours but I will find the high temp alarm activated and the fan off. I have continuity on the defrost heater and I had no continuity across the leads of the defrost thermostat so I bought a new thermostat but it does not show continuity either so I thought possibly this particular thermostat does not show continuity across the leads or it is bad also. I don't see a heavy ice or frost build up so I really don't think it is related to the thermostat or defrost heater but thought I would try a thermostat as it was a an inexpensive gamble. Any thoughts from the crowd here would be appreciated.

Old 06-18-16, 07:53 AM
L
I did just find a comment elsewhere that the thermostat will only show continuity right as it opens to activate the defrost heater so that explains the continuity issue not the problem I am having.

Old 06-18-16, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The defrost thermostat is closed (shorted) when it's cold. It usually must be checked when it's under 45 or so. It cycles during defrost to keep the inside of the freezer from melting.

Your problem sounds like the temperature control board is defective. That's the one you need to check. The part number is 297366300. The problem is more than likely the relay has gone bad or the solder around the relay is bad.

If you're technically inclined.... it could be fixed. I could help you.

A link to the board.... Main Control Board 297366300 Repair Clinic

Old 06-19-16, 09:44 AM
L
Thanks Pete,

I would have to agree with you on your diag. after yesterday. I saw a comment somewhere where someone said to bump the controller and I did, it will cause the freezer to start back up or shut off if it's running, so I am going to replace that control board. Thanks also for the offer to help me through it. I'm pretty handy with most things and I am sure I can handle it, but I will ask because I saw comments about prying the control out to remove it from the door. Any certain edge or area to pry or just work around until it comes loose ?

Old 06-19-16, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
I left you the link to one retailer. There are many out there. Use the part number 297366300‎ to search.

I can't tell for sure what is holding the control in. I don't see any screws or clips.
It may just be a pressure fit. Pry carefully.

Name:  board.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  24.1 KB

Check inside for an access cover or plate too.

Old 06-19-16, 04:46 PM
L
Thanks again Pete, I found a good price on E-Bay.

I talk on another forum fairly often (not as much in the summer), but I'll have to surf around on here some when I have some time.

Old 06-23-16, 07:27 PM
L
Temp control board was in fact the issue. She's humming along just fine again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: