Kenmore wash machine has mind of it's own during spin cycle.

Old 06-21-16, 08:40 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kenmore wash machine has mind of it's own during spin cycle.

This is Kenmore 70 Series HD ....Model #110.22722.100
For a long time now (year +) I sometimes have to lift and close the lid or push/pull the cycle control knob to get the machine to spin after the wash cycle and/or after the rinse cycle. The machine ALWAYS drains and SOMETIMES completes the cycles on it's own.
So after reading and watching videos, I was convinced the lid switch was bad.
Then the other day, another problem appeared. No spin OR agitation, just a clattering noise, which after some investigation, sounded like the coupler.
So I was now pushed into the repair job.
Got a new coupler and lid switch. Both installations went smooth as silk.

All SEEMED to be fine in a quick test, but as soon as I put the machine into an entire wash cycle, no spin again.
I should mention that once in a great while, my problem mirrored one posted by DyannP who said after washing, the machine just sat there as the clock cycled and did nothing more.
What's really crazy is that if I push the control knob in and pull it back out, or lift the lid slightly and close it again, the spin cycle starts right up which tells me that maybe the lid switch was actually not the problem.
Anyway it's brand new now, so I know this one's good. So what can be causing the spin problem? When it spins, it spins fast so I know it's not the clutch.
Could this be in the timer control knob? or a wiring problem???
I need HELP!

Last edited by AUricle; 06-21-16 at 08:44 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-21-16, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not the lid switch. It's the timer.

The timer sets the motor to reverse. The pump pumps out the tub. The drain function is timed so that after 2-3 minutes..... the tub is empty. The timer stops the motor for a few seconds and then restarts still in reverse. That few second break is what causes the transmission to shift into spin.

Since the timer isn't pausing..... when you turn the machine off or open the lid... you are supplying that missing pause.

Old 06-22-16, 06:23 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You picked the right avatar, Pete!

Thanks for your help. Ordered the timer this morning

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: