Whirlpool washing machine problems

Old 06-28-16, 10:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool washing machine problems

Hello,
I am new to the group. I have a Whirlpool washing machine that is about 15 years old. The other day, my washing machine died. The machine simply stopped during a load and I noticed a strange scent. The machine won't drain and when I attempt to turn it on, it makes a slight buzzing/humming noise. Not particularly loud. I did some internet research and have a number of ideas. I figured I would try replacing the motor coupler. I inspected it and it isn't broken, but I wouldn't know what a worn out one looks like. Other ideas are the pump or the lid switch. I don't want to start randomly purchasing parts, trying them, and returning them so if anyone knows what this might be and where to start I would appreciate it. Thanks!!
Dave

Old 06-28-16, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A common problem is something getting stuck in the drain pump. You should be able to lean the machine back, unsnap the drain pump from the moto and see if it's frozen.

if it is you may be able to remove the item. The tub will have water in it as well as the pump and lines so be sure to have a bucket and towels ready.

Old 06-28-16, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Please post model #. You say it hums if the machine I am thinking of You most likely have a sock stuck in water pump. Easy way to check is take cabinet off, Jump lid switch, (2 wires not colored green) unclip water pump from motor (leave hoses attached) put washer in spin and see if it runs. If it does you have something in pump. Let me know if you need help with cabinet. Do not take back off Pete bet me to it. His is the way I do if no water in washer.

Old 06-28-16, 03:36 PM
D
Thanks!
The model number is KAWS850JT3. Since I already had the machine apart checking the coupler, I went ahead and disconnected the pump and let the water drain out (lucky I have an unfinished basement and a drain hole!). Anyway, there was nothing in the pump. Do I need to remove the tubing and check those as well? Is there a trick to this? Any idea what else I should check? Thanks for your help!
Dave

P.S. I got a little water, not alot, on the motor when I was draining the tub. Do I need to let it dry a few days before restarting the machine?

Old 06-28-16, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
A little water on the motor won't hurt it. No need to let it dry.

Can you turn the pump by hand ?

You can try the motor completely disconnected (coupler and pump) to see if it works.
You may need to hold it or lay it on a towel when testing it..... as it will try to roll away if it starts.

Old 06-28-16, 05:18 PM
D
I tried turning the black wheel inside of the pump with my finger and it was very difficult, but it did turn. Is it supposed to spin freely? I haven't attempted to test the motor yet. I assume I would need to plug all the electrical connections back in and and turn the dial to spin? Thanks!

Old 06-29-16, 01:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
With cabinet off you I guess you unplugged motor so plug that in. The motor can be on floor to test, run for a few seconds. Best way to test pump if motor runs is mount motor and pump and put washer in spin. Pump will turn with a little resistance. If baby's in house usually a baby sock.
Where did you hear hum from?

Old 06-29-16, 02:24 PM
D
Thanks. I'm having a few problems. I can't exactly remember where the hum was coming from because I have had the machine apart for 4 days now. I just remember it was not very loud and sounded like a hum or buzz. I plugged the motor and the machine back in and turned the dial to spin. Nothing,dead silence. BUT, when I took the cabinet apart, I had to disconnect a wire harness from the top of the cabinet near the washer door. Does this need to be plugged in to test the motor? This would require me to put the cabinet back together to plug in this harness, and then I would be unable to test the motor on the floor. If I need to plug this harness back in, is there another way to test the motor? Thanks!!

Old 06-29-16, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is the lid switch, either put cabinet back on or jump switch (the 2 wires not colored green)

Old 06-30-16, 11:08 PM
D
Thanks for all the help. I started investigating the lid switch. First, I noticed the lid intermittently not making the clicking noise it should when I moved the lid up and down. The lid switch seems like it could be defective, but I'm not sure. Then, I noticed that the screw that holds the grounding wire onto the machine had rusted away and the wire was hanging loose. I attempted to ground the wire with a screw and washer that I had. I did not have a bolt handy, so the wire is not fastened very tightly. Also, the hole that holds the screw is extremely rusty. Could the rusty hole affect the grounding of the lid switch? Do I need to drill another hole in another place? Should I try getting a new lid switch? I'm hoping this is the problem. Thanks!!

Old 07-01-16, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the lid switch out, I think you will see where it is separating at the seam.Very common problem with that switch. Grounding will not effect switch operation

Old 07-06-16, 07:49 PM
D
Ok, if there is still anyone out there who could help me out I would appreciate it. I went to an appliance parts shop that is very forthcoming with free advice. They recommended replacing the coupler and lid switch. No luck. They then recommended that I bring in the capacitor to have it tested. I carefully removed the capacitor tonight and discovered that one of the red wires to the capacitor was virtually severed about half an inch form the capacitor. Can I repair this wire myself or is this dangerous and might require a pro? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 07-07-16, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes you can repair the wire. I would use a wire nut but a butt connector is fine also. Glad you found problem. I have never seen that cut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: