Poor sealing fridge door gasket.

Old 07-05-16, 02:32 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Poor sealing fridge door gasket.

Might there be a tradesman's trick for getting aftermarket gaskets to seal properly. I have a fridge that I'm told had this gasket replaced about 5 years ago. Even at that time the gasket fit was as you see it in the attached images. They've made no previous attempt to get a better fit. I just looked at it and the installation looks proper -- The gasket simply seems like it has no extension (accordion effect) at the two corners.

The poor seal caused much condensation both inside and out. Unfortunately this is taking its toll in the form of minor isolated corrosion (as seen in pic) along with a constant mildew problem. This Kenmore (#2539768481) is probably 12-15 years old and, while still in otherwise very good condition, I'm not sure investing in a $100+ genuine gasket is worth it.

Any tricks-of-the-trade appreciated.

Old 07-05-16, 03:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I've had some minor luck shimming under the seal but it's a pretty poor fix at best. The underlying problem is a bad door seal. But at about 15 years old your fridge is probably due for an upgrade. I'd be hesitant to install new door seals unless getting a new fridge is out of the question.

Old 07-05-16, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
In that picture it looks like the door may be sprung (racked) and not meeting properly.

Old 07-06-16, 06:39 AM
G
Thanks for the replies!

@Pilot Dane
I hear ya. Will likely attempt some sort of kluge for now. I wouldn't mind spending $40 for a seal but that would necessarily mean aftermarket and likely provide the same results.

@PJmax
No racking evident. Door gap measures a very consistent 13/16" all around.

Old 07-06-16, 07:27 AM
G
Found I had some high-density foam weatherstrip -- Cut some wedges and am wholly satisfied with the possibilities. Will redo it (maybe with a more dense rubber w/s) when I have enough time to make it a bit more precise.

---

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: