Fridge not cooling at all

Old 07-07-16, 04:19 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fridge not cooling at all

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my fridge. I have a Whirlpool W8RXEGMWB00 built in 02/2010. Simply stated, one day it completely stopped cooling. I can leave it run all day and it will not drop below room temperature. The fan runs and the light works, however, the compressor is warm, so I am assuming it is not kicking on.

I have tested continuity of the thermostat, which was fine, as well as continuity of the 3 prongs on the compressor, which all were equal, and also power to the inverter board and compressor, which was fine. There is only 1 single red wire that leads to the inverter that I assume is the "trigger wire" so to speak, I am unsure how to test that. I am now stuck as to where to proceed next. Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-07-16, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Have you tipped it over and cleaned all the crap off the coil lately?

Old 07-07-16, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The evaporator fan inside as well as the condensor fan underneath should both be running. The red wire to the inverter board is the trigger line. White to the inverter is neutral, black is 120v and the red is 120v when the stat is demanding cooling (when the fans are running).

You test the red by checking from the red wire to ground (cabinet). It should be present when the stat is calling for cooling and 0v when the stat is off.

Old 07-08-16, 03:02 AM
R
This fridge is strange in that it's one big sealed unit and I can't get to anything other than the compressor and inverter board from behind and thermostat and defrost board from inside the fridge. I can't see anything else that would come apart with removing bolts or even prying a panel off.

That being said, XSleeper, the coils are not visible at all, not underneath or behind.

PJmax, the condensor fan does run, but I cannot see the evaporator fan. I did the voltage test you stated, red trigger wire and ground to the body with the thermostat on, and I got no reading. Where do I proceed next?

Old 07-08-16, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
In the wiring diagram below.... everything in red is live when in cooling mode. Those two black dots could be actual splices or the wiring could be doubled up on a fan.

I don't know where to find the actual wiring. Only an actual service manual could possibly help you. My guess is that if the condensor fan underneath is working... you may find two red wires on it.

Name:  fridge.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  41.4 KB

Old 07-09-16, 07:36 AM
R
PJmax, I uploaded the wiring diagram I have to the web link below I have if you'd care to take a peek at it (the file size was way to big to attach to this message). I have also verified that both the condensor fan and evaporator fan both do run.

http://issuu.com/rayians/docs/servic....amazonaws.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: