Kenmore refrigerator 795.71022.011 compressor problem

Old 08-11-16, 07:01 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore refrigerator 795.71022.011 compressor problem

Hello all,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model # 795.71022.011 which is about 4 years old and I think made by LG. It started making a noise about 4 months ago, intermittently at first but now continuously for the last week or so. Today I found the first concrete sign of failure - the contents are no longer frozen solid. I had pulled the back cover off to clean the coils and also to try to track down the noise. The noise is definitely coming from the compressor and that tells me that I am probably looking at a failing compressor.
Replacing the compressor by myself is beyond my skill set as it entails brazing and other such specialized skills.
I am trying to evaluate if its worth it to try and fix it or if it would be better to just junk it and get a new one. Also, is there any point in investing any money in having a serviceman come out when I could better spend it on a new refrigerator?
So my question for all of the experts out there is: how much would I expect to pay to fix it (a ballpark figure) and how long is the fix likely to last?
Second: for the experts out there, is there a brand that you guys prefer? My personal preference happens to be Whirlpool, but I know that there are other very dependable brands out there as well.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-16, 12:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
You are correct..... LG is the manufacturer of that appliance.

You didn't mention if the fridge was also warm.....is it ?
If it is ok then it's not a compressor problem.

Shows where the control board is and how to test....
you tube/watch?v=HJ2CVG5Xbko

I've seen many complaints about 3-4 years lifetime of those compressors even on the higher end LG's.

These LG fridges use a high voltage DC motor driven off the control board.
I haven't worked on many LG fridges.

Here's the service manual... appliance factory parts/content/pdfs/145975-2.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: