Maytag top loading washer overflows at spin cycle

Old 10-14-16, 05:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag top loading washer overflows at spin cycle

We have carefully observed the machine through several cycles. It is not over-filling the tub at the beginning of the cycle. The problem occurs after the wash cycle as the machine begins the spin cycle. It starts spinning with the tub still full of water, and then the water sloshes over the sides.

I have previously thoroughly cleaned between the main tub and the strainer basket. I also checked the tube between the tub and the pump and didn't find any clogs.

Can you recommend how to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-16, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Please post model #, There are many different types of Maytags. Newer ones will be under lid in back older ones usually behind console.

Old 10-14-16, 05:30 PM
D
Maytag Performa
PAV3300AWW REV 12
SERIAL # 12280799K

Old 10-15-16, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not a common problem with your machine. Does the tub and basket move around a lot (like almost hitting sides or hitting sides?) This is is one of many problems with your machine. There should be a tech sheet in console (I could not fine one online,) On sheet should be a timer chart (looks hard to read nut it you follow each line will tell you timer cycles) Most washers will drain water out before they start spinning which is a timer function. I can't remember if yours dose this.
Not one of my favorite washers as had many problems. 5 to 6 years was usually a good life span for it.

Old 10-15-16, 07:28 AM
D
Timer Chart

Basket does not move around a lot. Stays very still and quiet.

Timer Chart
Name:  CCI10152016 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  34.0 KB

Other than timer, what else could it be?

I can only think of 2 explanations:
1) Timer failing to trigger draining first before it starts spinning
2) Could pump efficiency be reduced causing water to spill before tub drains enough to prevent sloshing?

Last edited by davidhmd; 10-15-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-15-16, 08:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry I can't read chart but if you follow the drain and spin cycles there should be a place it drains first. Does it drain all the water out. Pumps have been a problem with that machine. Some of the washers have a panel near pump in rear that you can take off, Take the upper hose off pump or hose from tub to pump. Make sure there is not a sock stuck in inlet of pump. There is a medal ring below pulley that comes out and makes noise. Take belt off and turn pump pulley, it should feel smooth. Keep us posted.

Old 10-15-16, 10:25 AM
D
I took off pump and checked it. Looked fine. Spins freely, no clogs. Ran it by hand in sink and it seems to pump fine. I don't see any drain only cycle on timer chart. Just seems to go wash, pause, spin. Rinse cycle is fill, agitate, pause, spin. Drum, pump, and motor are all on the same belt. So, I think the pump and drum belt wheel turn anytime the motor and belt run.

We just did another wash and it didn't spill, but I'm afraid the spills will be back.

Old 10-15-16, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Retired a couple of years ago, Trying to remember how yours works. One belt so no drain cycle, The only thing I can think of is washer is overfilling a little. Does it leak on a lower water setting? Take the pressure hose off pressure switch in console and blow through it. I always leave a couple of inches of water in tub when I do this, You will hear bubbles coming out when you blow tube. This will make sure there is no soap build up in tube.

Old 11-05-16, 12:54 PM
D
Still leaking at spin cycle. Now it leaks b/c it won't drain at all, it just spills out as it spins without draining.

Old 11-05-16, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is a breakdown of washer. There are no valves in drain system, Try this, With some water in washer put drain hose on floor. Careful should have water drain out. I am thinking there is a sock or something stuck in tub outlet or in hose from tub to pump. With drain hose on floor water should pour out.

Old 11-05-16, 03:18 PM
D
I took the pump completely apart and checked all hoses. Didn't find any problems. All clear. It is draining now. It only wasn't draining before bc I kept trying to fiddle with timer to observe the start of the spin cycle. Once I left it alone, it spilled again and then started draining but not until only the drum was spinning its fastest.

With pump, hoses and drain all clear, and the motor, drum, and pump all sharing the same belt, I can't figure out what could have changed to make it start spilling.

Is overfilling the only remaining explanation?

Could motor be taking longer to reach top spin speed, which causes spilling before pump can start draining.

If we set water level lower, it does fill lower. So it has some level control, but as u said earlier, maybe it is just overfilling a bit. Wish there was a way to know how high water level should be forms max load.

Old 11-05-16, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry I can't remember how much water should be in the tub when filled. did you blow out the pressure hose like I said in earlier post?

Old 11-06-16, 03:44 AM
D
Yes, I had done that before I even started this thread, and just did it again with water in the tub and heard bubbles. When I did it first time I blew in the tub end of the tube, and felt pressure at the other end.