2016 - Most Reliable Washing Machine?

Old 11-14-16, 10:58 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2016 - Most Reliable Washing Machine?

So, this past March, I was a good boy and did all of my homework when looking for a new washing machine. I looked at Consumer Reports, and bounced around on reviews (to compare) on HomeDepot, Lowes, and Best Buy.

Settled on a Samsung (see where this is headed?)--and we love it. Decent price, cleans really well. Energy Efficient. Then the phones started exploding. Then their top loading washing machine followed suit. So now I am back to square 1. Looking for a washing machine.

I had narrowed things down over the weekend to a GE washer (GTW810SSJWS). Consumer reports doesnt love it, but decent reviews on HomeDepot.

So today I also thought to call the guy I use from time to time to repair my appliances (when I can not). He recommended Speed Queen.

Any opinions on whether any brand is better than the other for support and reliability--and serviceability? Looking for a 5.0 cu ft top loaded, HE.

I saw a thread from 2015 and a lot of folks like LG-- i had heard from people in the appliance stores that their customer service wasnt so hot (this was 10 years ago)... I am obviously staying away from Samsung.

Any advice appreciated!

Old 11-14-16, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Repaired washers and dryers only for many years before retiring, My choose was LG for the last several years. Second was Samsung. Both work very well and till Samsung started exploding had very little problems with them. I personally have not seen one that came apart.

Old 11-14-16, 01:18 PM
S
thanks! I am also looking at a GE unit, though consumer reports doesnt seem to like them as much.

CR really like LG. Maybe I should rethink my avoidance...

You are right though... I actually really like my Samsung. Its a drag they started blowing up.

Old 11-14-16, 01:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I bought a GE washer and dryer a few yrs ago and I'm not all that happy with them. I previously had an Amana washer and dryer which preformed well for 18 yrs.

Old 11-14-16, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I forgot about you saying you were looking at a GE. I would not have a GE appliance in my house. Repairmen hate them. We had nothing but trouble with them, Same about speed Queen.

Old 11-14-16, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Been using an LG front loader for several years now and wifey loves it. Would buy another one.

Old 11-14-16, 02:52 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
How much do you want to spend? The Staber washing machine is built in America and is designed for any handy person to do any and all maintenance. They are huge, ugly and ungodly expensive but they last forever. Staber Washer Model HXW2304 (White Cabinet)

Old 11-14-16, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That machine is $1299. I would pay that before I bought a new electronically controlled machine.

I'm still running an original Whirlpool E..... 21 years old. It'll last another 10 if I can help it.

Old 11-14-16, 04:14 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So after a 2 year ordeal with our second Whirlpool front load washer in 7 years I have asked that same question, why does it seem that appliances today simply dont last as long as they did. Maybe it's my imagination, maybe it's just that you hear that one story in 100 about a 21 year old appliance going strong.

Come to find out a lot of the problems today come from the government, what, the same people that are here to help us in our daily lives.

Ask the repairmen, every since energy standards have been introduced compressors are smaller, motors are smaller, then everybody thinks you have to have a refrigerator with cameras and wifi, OMG.

Only advise for a washer, stay away from any and all front load washers. You are looking at a 7-8 year machine at best!

Old 11-14-16, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the problem with your washer. Whirlpools are pretty reliable, but have lost some in the last few years.

Old 11-14-16, 07:45 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Only advise for a washer, stay away from any and all front load washers. You are looking at a 7-8 year machine at best!
I think that is an unfair blanket statement. My Asko washing machine is 17+ years old and doing just fine. Granted, living alone I only do on average one or two loads a week but even if I did two or three times as much I don't think it would have worn out yet.

Old 11-15-16, 07:19 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I think that is an unfair blanket statement.
I agree. I bought my Gibson front loader in early 1997 and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Knocking on wood.

Old 11-15-16, 08:44 AM
S
problem with my washer is that it is a recalled Samsung.

I can get this machine at a significant discount, thanks to where I work.

GE 5.1 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer in White ENERGY STAR-GTW860SSJWS - The Home Depot

Pricewise, it calls to me

That $1200 machine would be awesome to get, but its a bit out of budget. Was looking for (ideally) $800 or less-- a little above the amount of the rebate for the recall.

Old 11-15-16, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hated going to a stop with a GE washer. Always a problem. From getting model # on up. Only washer I know that puts model # on side so you have to move washer out to read. Hard to troubleshoot also.

Old 11-23-16, 01:23 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I have a GE Washer and no repairman will touch it as they hate them!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: