dryer leaves marks on bed sheets

Old 01-09-17, 10:15 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dryer leaves marks on bed sheets

My approximately 10 year old Whirlpool electric dryer leaves dark marks on white bedding. The marks are random, and sometimes look like a series of dashes drawn in a line with a pencil- dark gray color. The marks won't come off with anything I've tried. Sometimes the marks don't happen. They do seem to happen more often with large loads of large items like queen bed sheets. I've looked over the inside of the dryer drum carefully many times, but everything looks nice and clean. Otherwise, the dryer works great, but this problem is making my wife crazy. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve

Old 01-09-17, 10:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Regardless of how it looks, I'd try to clean the inside of the drum with rubbing alcohol.

Is there anything rubber or rubber-like inside the drum?

Old 01-09-17, 10:33 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would first try cleaning the inside of the drum, even though it looks clean. I usually use white vinegar and then follow with a through wash of warm soapy water, followed by a final rinse of plain water. Make sure you get all the surfaces the clothes can touch, including the inside of the door and the lint trap area.

If that doesn't seem to help, then the most likely cause is probably one of the seals. Your dryer may have one or two. The rear seal is usually felt; the front (if used) may be felt or other material. They are usually glued to the drum. Given the age of your dryer it wouldn't be unusual for the seal or seals to be deteriorating.

Changing the seals is a bit of a job because the cabinet has to be opened and the drum removed. That's usually a good time to consider replacing the rollers and belt as well, since most of the work is in removing the drum.

Old 01-09-17, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Most mark from dryers come from worn felts. Post model # and I can check for you.

Old 01-09-17, 05:58 PM
S
dryer

Thanks for all the replies! Model WED5100VQO Ser MY1246402. Thanks for any help Steve

Old 01-10-17, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not a common problem on your dryer. A couple of things to check. Reach inside and lift on front of drum, Should have less than 1/4 movement up and down. Look inside to back There is a seal around drum (you may not see it but there should be no gaps or felt sticking out. Let me know what you find.

Old 01-10-17, 04:02 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Check the laundry thoroughly when it comes out of the washing machine. It took a couple of weeks, because it was a bit sporadic, but we had that issue at one time and tracked it back to the washing machine, not the dryer.

Old 01-10-17, 05:31 AM
S
My wife's been doing the checking, and at first she suspected the washer. But now she's convinced that the problem's in the dryer. I'll look at the dryer drum later this AM and will report back. Steve

Old 01-10-17, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
More common for washer to leave marks. Post model # of washer please.

Old 01-10-17, 07:56 AM
S
washer dryer

Whirlpool washer model WTW5100VQO serial CY0432131.

I looked at the dryer, and there's almost no up and down movement of the drum. But there is movement front to back, maybe 3/8". When you slide the drum toward the door opening, a gap opens up at the back of the drum around the edge and there's what looks like light colored felt around the edge, some of it pretty discolored. It wouldn't be hard to imagine a fold in a bed sheet getting into that opening and getting marked.

Assuming my washer doesn't have a common problem, does this dryer sound like something fairly easy to repair? I'm a fairly handy DIYer, and don't mind a project.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. Steve

Old 01-10-17, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST
Real easy dryer to open and check things and it needed to replace felt. 2 screws under lint screen. Part 20 in diagram are 2 clips that need to be pushed back while lifting top, Do each side. Top will hinge up Unplug wires, 2 screws inside 5/16 heads, Front panel will lift off clips. Reach under drum and take belt off idler pulley and drum will come out. Don't be surprised at coins in panel and floor of dryer.Here is a diagram of dryer. Check rollers in back of dryer also.
WHIRLPOOL RESIDENTIAL DRYER Parts | Model WED5100VQ0 | Sears PartsDirect

Look at top ring of washer and see if it is dirty. A full load of clothes could get up there and rub on the dirt. Here is some directions to replace lid switch but the same to get to top ring.
Most likely lid switch. On top under lid is a slot that is the switch. Put washer in spin and turn on put hand under switch and pull body of switch up. Use a pen or screwdriver and push down on lever thorough slot while holding switch. If spins now switch is bad.
On console there are 2 plastic caps on end. They pop off and than there are 2 screws/ remove screws and pull and lift console. it will hinge up and back. Unplug lid switch. 2 gold colored clips take them off. cabinet will come off and than you can replace switch.
Here is a diagram of washer
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mode...8/0153200.html
Let us know what you find. If felt is dirty it can be changed.

Old 01-11-17, 05:57 AM
S
Hi, Is the "top ring" you mention #10 in the parts diagram (they call it washer basket balance ring)?
If so, I ran a clean white rag over anyplace that the wash could touch and it seems clean.

I'm going to open up the dryer (once we get ahead on laundry!) and look closely at the rollers and felt seals. I have a hunch that's my problem. I'll report back when I get it open. Rollers and belt have been mentioned, is there anything else that is a common wear item?

Thanks again, Steve

Old 01-11-17, 07:31 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Might as well open the blower housing and clean out all the lint and other stuff that tends to collect in there.....and give the blower wheel a good look over; most are plastic and get brittle over time.

Old 01-11-17, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
nOT A BAD IDEA TO CLEAN BLOWER WHEEL BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE BACK OFF AND PULL LINT CHUTE. Sorry caplock on. Chute can be hard to reinstall. I usually put back of dryer on blocks to get it in.

Old 01-11-17, 09:27 AM
S
OK, so I've looked at the pictures and parts list. It looks to me like the 2- #29 (support) are the "rollers" that support the rear of the drum. Would these be worn and let the drum move front to back?
How about #33 (drum front bearing)? And would it be a good idea to replace #35 (drum rear seal)?
And the belt, as mentioned. I'll also look at cleaning the blower wheel, but I want to get some parts ahead of time (to minimize down time waiting for parts). I want to thank everyone again for all the advice and assistance. I like to think I'm pretty handy, but you guys are an incredible source of knowledge and practical advice. Steve

Old 01-11-17, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To get the drum out it takes me about 5 minutes but I have done many. Rollers seldom go bad but usually will need cleaning. Just take the plastic clip off and take them off A drop of oil on shaft is all you need. I can't think of any parts you will need, Possible a belt but they seldom break. Part# 35 under bulkhead s felt seal. I think better to take apart and look before getting it. It is a simple tear down. I have the same dryer and just looked at mine. Front to back movement is about 1/4 inch of less. Don't think I had ever checked that before. Been repairing dryers for many years. Check the front bearing (plastic inside drum edge) for wear and broken part.

Old 01-12-17, 06:24 AM
S
I'll open it up and take a look. I'll report back when I do. Thanks again for all the help, Steve

Old 01-12-17, 07:47 AM
S
dryer

Well you were right about a quick & easy job! It took me a little more than 5 min, but not much more. Anyway, aside from some dust, everything looks pretty good to my eye. One thing is that the upper left side of where the back of the drum rides is worn, the upper right side is not. I'm enclosing some pics.
I'd be interested in any opinions. Thanks, SteveName:  dryer 002.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  17.7 KBName:  dryer 003.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  26.7 KBName:  dryer 004.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  31.2 KB

Old 01-12-17, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is the side the belt puts the pressure on as drum turns. It is on all dryers like that after a few years of use. Make sure the rollers turn freely and felt looks good. It you decide to take lint tube out in back to clean, Usually not necessary but can't hurt it is easier to also open top to get it in.

Old 01-19-17, 07:48 AM
S
dryer

Wanted to report back with my results. After I removed the drum, and posted my findings, I carefully cleaned everything I could. I found some dirty areas where the rear drum felt seal rides. I cleaned these areas (it took some scrubbing) and re-assembled everything. Yesterday we ran a full load of white bedding through a wash and dry - and - no marks at all! My wife is happy, so I'm happy. Thanks for the great help and advice everyone gave me. Steve

Old 01-19-17, 12:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update..................

Old 02-12-17, 01:51 PM
S
update on dryer problem / solution

I'm happy to report that after almost a month- still NO marks on sheets that go thru washer/dryer. Thanks again, Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: