Odd sound from Maytag dishwasher

Old 01-11-17, 12:09 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Odd sound from Maytag dishwasher

Folks:

I have a Maytag MDB7759AWS2 dishwasher. I pulled it out and replaced both the impeller and the chipper. The old impeller had warn off at the teeth where it connects to the chipper. I think the chipper must have been jammed with broken glass. I noticed an issue with it not having pressure and dirty dishes.

This fixed with replacing the impeller and adding a new chipper. It is now cleaning much better and the seals around the impeller are replaced (which is good as the old was was about shot...avoided a leak).

HOWEVER, my kids let me know a day later the washer is making a different noise that I missed. Well, they are right. It makes a motor pulsating sound. Listen to the youtube I just posed. I put my phone next to the machine , on the floor, so you can year the slow pulse noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6OuM_SnRj8

Any thoughts as to the cause of this? It is rather loud as its hard to hear water splashing inside over the pulse engine sound.

Thx.

Old 01-11-17, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Tell your kids the machine is shot and all dishes must be washed by hand.

Actually..... that is the sound of the lower spray arm going around. Perfectly normal.
Since your pump has been out you haven't heard it in a while.

Old 01-18-17, 05:51 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Ok, I would agree that makes sense, but I just got down and listened more closely. The noise is no emanating from the door, its coming from the motor area. In fact, its very cyclical, as if about every 2 seconds it hums. It is NOT the sound of water being blown against the door or walls.

What troubles me is that if it is the bearings of the motor going, wouldn't it be constant and not cycling as noisy and not noisy every 2 seconds? I would hate to replace the circulation pump for $100 bucks and find out that didn't solve it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: