Whirlpool Dishwasher Installation

Old 01-12-17, 11:11 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Dishwasher Installation

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install a Whirlpool dishwasher (Model WDT720PADM) and could use some advice.

The space that the dishwasher is going in has 2-3" wide x 3/4" deep cabinet filler pieces on either side. The dishwasher came with a metal bracket for either side and two small 1/2" screws. Reading the installation instructions, it looks like the only way to mount the dishwasher to the cabinets (can't mount to underside of stone countertop) is by using the bracket (as I have it in the picture). However, I am concerned with screwing this bracket to the filler pieces because I don't think they will be strong enough to hold in the long term and also don't like the look. I added some blocks behind the filler pieces hoping that I could screw through the plastic of the dishwasher (see red box in picture) into the blocks but I am not seeing that listed in the instructions as an option nor do I have long enough screws to do it. Other dishwashers I have installed had a place to screw it in and then plastic caps to cover the screws and you never see a bracket. I don't want to set the dishwasher far enough back to put the brackets into the blocks because it will sit deeper under the quartz counter then I want it to and the blocks will then show.

Is there another way for me to install this or am I misreading the instructions?

Please let me know if anyone can help. Thank you!

Name:  Whirlpool Dishwasher 1.jpg
Views: 3062
Size:  28.7 KB

Old 01-12-17, 11:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Other dishwashers I have installed had a place to screw it in and then plastic caps to cover the screws and you never see a bracket
Yea, your dishwasher is not equipped to side mount.

If you have room at the top, you can glue a wood strip to the bottom of the counter.
Use epoxy and clamp it until dry.

Here's a link to a thin metal bracket that works well. It includes very short screws.
You bend the side tabs and screw it into the sides of the face frame (fillers).
I would recommend a little adhesive caulk also on the top of the bracket and clamp until dry.

Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CounterBala...ace/1000155213

Last edited by Handyone; 01-12-17 at 11:49 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01-12-17, 12:01 PM
M
Thanks Handyone that is really helpful information! I am shocked not all dishwashers are capable of side mounting. I never even thought to check.

I found this video about installing that in case anyone else is curious in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0tIo7X-6B4

Looks like this Granite Grabbers one is also an option. Have you ever used it?

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-Grabb...nting+brackets

Old 01-12-17, 12:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
As you found out, the thin bracket should be installed on top of the face frames before counter is installed. It will look OK attached to the sides if you bend the sides and trim the metal with shears.

I haven't used the grabbers, but would trust them.
They are probably very strong and the only job is to keep the DW from tipping forward.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: