Maytag oven broiler not working

Old 01-14-17, 01:42 PM
J
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Maytag oven broiler not working

I'm trying to fix a neighbors Maytag oven, model MER8770WOS. The broiler element does not heat. I removed it and it passed a continuity check, so apparently not a bad element. I found the service technician pamphlet on the back of the oven, and followed instructions for the diagnostic check, but it didn't return any error codes. Not sure why no error would come up when the boiler doesn't work. Thinking maybe turning off the breaker may have erased a previous error code, I tried to turn on the broiler and then reran the diagnostic, but still no error code.

Another site mentioned the possibility a bad "temperature control thermostat" that regulates the broiler temperature for a non-heating broiler. The parts list for this model shows an "oven sensor assembly" and a "thermal limiter switch". Could failure of either of these prevent only the broiler element from working? The oven itself heats normally, just the broiler doesn't work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Jim

Old 01-14-17, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Could that model number be MER8770WS0 ?

I had trouble locating the wiring diagram but that oven does use a high limit thermostat.
It is part number 74008715. It is located on the back of the oven wall behind the access cover. Basically back to back with the element.

I would check that first.

Old 01-15-17, 10:02 AM
J
Yes, ...WSO, I transposed the last two letters. I'll check out that part. Thanks, Pete!

Old 01-16-17, 01:54 PM
J
OK, I looked up what that part looks like, but can't find anything that looks like it after removing the access cover. I've attached a photo of the back of her oven...sorry for the blurriness. The parts diagram seems to imply it would be near the top left corner, looking from the back. I pulled out the oven light socket (with broken off bulb) thinking that may be it. I can see where the wires connect to the oven sensor probe (long narrow probe that extends a few inches into the oven). I presume that part just reports temperature to the temperature control circuit. Any idea where they might have hidden the thermal limit switch on this model?

Name:  Leonora's oven.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 01-16-17, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
No... the part I linked to is a limit switch. It should be like a miniature thermostat in one of the lines to the broiler element. It just opens to keep the broiler from overheating.

Some are auto reset. The part number for that range shows a red pushbutton reset on it.

Name:  stat.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  14.1 KB

There should be a wiring diagram on the oven. See if it's shown on that.

Old 01-16-17, 02:44 PM
J
Here's a scan of the wiring diagram from the tech sheet. I does show a "HI Limit Switch", but I still don't know where it is physically located, or how to get to it.

Name:  Tech Sheet W10249695A.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  40.1 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: