GE Side-by-side refrigerator : Freezer cold, Fridge warm

Old 04-03-17, 05:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GE Side-by-side refrigerator : Freezer cold, Fridge warm

GE GSH25JSXB SS, 8 years old.

Freezer side is very cold, but fridge is warm. I first observed it a month ago. Following directions online I removed the damper cover assembly and had found that the hole from freezer to fridge was blocked with ice. So, I cleared it and left the refrigerator switched off overnight. That seemed to have fixed the issue...until today the fridge started warming up again.

I removed the damper cover assembly. The hole looks fine (not blocked). Could it be a defrost issue? I see a lot of vapor (almost like white smoke) inside the freezer.

What can I do to fix it? Thank you very much for the help.

Old 04-03-17, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,522 Votes on 1,405 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In order to determine if it's a defrost problem you need to remove the access cover and look at the evaporator coil.

If the fridge was fine for about two weeks since you unthawed it.... it probably is a defrost issue. Remove the bottom kick plate and look up at the bottom of the fridge for a tech sheet. It's like a little service manual and tells you how to test the defrost system. It may be taped up. It may be in a plastic bag. Look around for it.

Vapor in the freezer means warm, water laden air is getting in. Possibly a gasket issue.

Old 04-04-17, 05:42 AM
D
Yes, it is a defrost issue. See the image -

Name:  IMG_7227.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  28.3 KB

From what I read elsewhere, it could be the thermostat, the heater or the thermostat timer. How do I go about determining which one is the issue?

Old 04-04-17, 06:03 AM
D
Ok. I am getting more adventurous here. I have permission (from my wife) to get a new fridge, so ready to mess with this one

I cut those cables and checked continuity on the thermostat. BEEEEP. Seems to be good.
Checked on the heater. SILENCE. Does it mean that the heater is bad?

Old 04-04-17, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
The thermostat only shows continuity (shorted) when cold. Above 45f or so it opens to turn off the heating element to keep it from melting the inside of the fridge.

The heating element should always show continuity. If you measure nothing.... it's open and bad. It would typically measure 25-75 ohms.

Old 04-04-17, 08:04 PM
D
Thanks ! Guess I need to replace the thermostat as well as the heater. The thermostat has constant continuity (even at 65F). May be that burnt out the heater?

You mentioned that the thermostat turns of above 45F. Isn't it way high? Wouldn't it be always below that temperature inside the freezer?

Old 04-04-17, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
The defrost thermostat cycles the defrost heater so that the plastic interior doesn't melt.
It opens based on the temperature of the refrigerant line that it is snapped onto.

While you are in there... change the thermostat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: