GE Profile refrigerator evaporator access

Old 04-05-17, 08:33 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile refrigerator evaporator access

I can't figure out how to get the evaporator cover off in my GE Profile PDS18SBMBRBS refrigerator. The freezer is at the bottom.

Here is a parts list:
Parts for GE PDS18SBMBRBS: Cabinet Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

The evaporator cover is part number 15 in the above diagram.

There is a single screw at the front at the front of the evaporator cover that is easy to remove, but a plastic piece in front of it on the door side (part number 39) prevents the cover from being removed. I've tried sliding it out towards the front, but it will only budge about a quarter inch. Is there something else I need to remove to free it?

Maybe I need to remove the "Crosspiece, Mullion", part number 36. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-05-17, 04:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solution

I managed to figure this out on my own.

I did some more googling and found a forum post about a similar problem, but with a different refrigerator. The suggested solution was to remove the screw, then push the cover toward the back and toward the right. It took a lot of fiddling to get the darn thing out. It is quite flexible, and bending it up in the middle was needed to get it out. Getting it back in also involved bending it in the middle.

Sliding the piece in front of the evaporator cover forward a little also helped, but it would only move about 1/8 inch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: