Oven Overheating

Old 05-03-17, 06:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oven Overheating

Hello!
I live in an apartment complex and I've been having trouble with my oven since January. Maintenance does not seem to be able to correct the issue without causing another one. It seems like it should be a simple fix so I thought I would try to figure it out myself.

In January, there was a loud noise and what looked like fire/sparks in the oven. I assume this was the heating element burning out. It caused the breaker to flip. Afterwards, the stovetop still worked fine. Maintenance came in and replaced the heating element. After this the oven would not warm up at all and the light to indicate preheating never came on.

I finally got maintenance back out last month to address the problem again. I'm not sure what was done because I was not home at the time but they said it was "fixed." The oven does heat now, but the preheating light still does not come on. I thought okay whatever and bought a small thermometer to place in the oven so I would know when it was preheated. I used the oven for the first time yesterday and when I removed the food, the thermometer read 600 degrees and obviously the food was burned.

Any idea what needs to be fixed now?
From what I've read I think I will be checking the thermostat bulb when I get home. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-05-17, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's hard to give you specific advice without the make and model of the range but it appears to be a failed control board. It sounds like the cycling relay has become welded shut.

If there is a visible metal bulb then you have an older range with mechanical thermostat.
That could be a similar problem with welded switch contacts.

Time to tell management you need a new range.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: