Recurring ice on bottom of freezer

Old 05-06-17, 09:32 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recurring ice on bottom of freezer

I have a Kenmore Coldspot 106.54596400 fridge built in 2004. It's a side-by-side. For the last few months, it's had ice accumulating on the bottom of the freezer on a regular basis. Every time this happens, I use a blow drier to melt the ice, but then it starts forming again.

Is it possible to diagnose the bigger problem and/or fix it without accessing its back, i.e. only working from the front? Asking because it's hard to move the fridge since it sits very tightly inside the kitchen cabinets around it. It does have enough space above the top for proposer ventilation.

If I absolutely have to move it, I will, I just don't want to do it if it can be avoided.

Thx

Old 05-06-17, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Typically that problem is caused by a plugged condensate drain. The drain is located in the freezer side directly below the evaporator coil.

To clear the drain, remove everything in the freezer, so the back panel can be removed. First disconnect power to the unit. With the panel removed, you will see the evaporator coil and directly under the coil is the drain trough (pan). The trough will probably be full of ice that will need to be removed. A hair dryer works well for this. Just be careful not to get it too hot. With the ice out of the trough, you will be able to see the drain hole, which will be plugged with ice. Use hot water to clear the drain hole. Keep working the hot water into the hole and wiping the excess water.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...m-freezer.html

Old 05-06-17, 10:26 AM
I
But this is what I've done several times already. Question is, why does it keep freezing? Year or two ago it happened once, I cleaned it and it was fine until earlier this year when it started happening over and over again.

Old 05-06-17, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
When I clean a drain I use hot water and a bit of bleach to dissolve the algae and slime that builds up.

Old 11-08-17, 04:18 PM
I
OK so the saga is not over. A few of months ago we called a repairman. When he was fiddling with the fridge, he didn't even pull it out. Then after a couple of months it clogged again. He came and this time pulled the fridge out and spent a lot of time fixing it. Not sure what exactly he did since I wasn't home that day. The result?
1. It's unclogged (for now)
2. Now I have frost in my freezer.
3. The top section of the fridge compartment is warm even at the lowest temperature setting.

#2 and #3 happened after he came for the second time. So my guess is he screwed something up when fixing the clog. Before I call him for the third time, I want to get an idea about what might have happened. Of course, it may be time for a new fridge but this one had been working fine until this 2nd round of repairs, so maybe the repairman or I can easily fix the new problem?

We close the fridge and freezer doors all the way but is it possible that something got dislodged and so now we have a gap of some sort with a lot of warm humid outside air getting into the fridge and/or freezer?

Old 11-08-17, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like a possible evaporator fan issue. It may have been left disconnected or when the shrouds were put back in.... something is hitting the fan.

Check for cold air blowing in the fridge.

Old 11-10-17, 05:45 AM
I
Wink

I read somewhere that the reason why the fridge compartment may not be working is that there might be a fan that pulls cold air from the freezer into the fridge compartment.

So I presume it might have been damaged or disconnected during the last round of repairs. If that's the case, would this be totally separate from the drain/defrost not working?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: