Maytag/LG 2400 Front Loader door seal

Old 05-16-17, 04:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag/LG 2400 Front Loader door seal

We've had this washer for about 12 years and it's always been a champ, perfect size for the two of us. We've had an issue with water and gunk build up at the inside the grey door seal. Usually I would just wipe it out every few months or so with a cloth and a bit of bleach.

I've been out of the country for about 8 months and I noticed this morning that the laundry room had a bit of odor. When I looked inside the seal I noticed quite a bit more water had built up but I didn't see anything that looked like a drain that was clogged.

Should I just wipe everything out as in the past or does it seem like there's something else going on. There's no point in asking my wife about why she never did anything her knowledge of how things work is pretty limited to turning things on and off and it's unlikely she would have noticed the odor for a few more months.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 05-16-17, 05:15 AM
S
Whoops, I can partially answer part of my own question. I got a cloth and flashlight and once I got the 1/3 cup or so of water out I could see the clogged up drain. Using a rag and a bit of bleach I got most of the gunk and dirt out but I'm wondering about the seal itself. There's a lot of built up, dried on dirt around the inside and outside of the seal.

There's also plenty of dirt and moisture in a small groove on the outside of the seal, on the side toward the tub. The dirt in that groove and I'm guessing that this dirt, being somewhat abrasive could harm the seal. I'm not sure how effective an old toothbrush might be in cleaning this out but I'm thinking that removing the seal might be more effective, and possibly even easier.

How big a job is removing the seal. I'm guessing I'll have to remove the front panel of the machine to do so and I'll look at the manual online later today but I'm thinking some of the experts on here have some helpful hints on an easy way to do this.

Thanks again.

Old 05-16-17, 07:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Please post model # found inside door area, Maytag sold to whirlpool and made big changes so different machines. Google front loader smells or Maytag odors either will come up with several pages.

Old 05-16-17, 11:01 AM
S
Sorry I forgot to post that information. It's MAH2400AWW

Old 05-16-17, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Was looking at diagram of washer and most parts are no longer available. Smell is more than just boot. The tub holds a lot of water after is is used and when you did not use it for a long time all water dried out and mold grew. Look at sites I said and there are some things you can try. Smell was a reoccurring problem. Been on many service calls for this and nothing we could do. Aafresh seems to work and there are other products (Tide has one). Short of a complete tear down of washer not much else to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: