Whirlpool refrigerator - Icemaker not working

Old 05-31-17, 01:21 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool refrigerator - Icemaker not working

Hi folks,
I have a Whirlpool 21cu.ft. refrigerator with top freezer, model# ET1CHEXVQ01, about 7yr old but in great condition. The ice maker was not hooked up until now - the previous kitchen did not have a water supply line. Recently moved the fridge to a new location and hooked up the water supply line but the ice maker would not start.
I tested the water supply line and it looks like it has good pressure, I almost wonder whether there is some valve or switch that had to be turned on when first put in operation. However, a quick check with the user manual does show anything like that; this model does not have filter either.
I would greatly appreciate any help in troubleshooting this - is there a way to check whether the water is reaching the ice maker? I guess I need to check this before I start looking at the ice maker. What else can be a culprit I need to investigate?
Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-17, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Fridge guy will be in later but a couple of quick checks. Did you push the arm down? The water fill valve in back may be stuck from no use. Try tapping lightly on it, may pop open.

Old 05-31-17, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,107 Votes on 1,027 Posts
If you didn't have the ice bail arm up or the ice maker unplugged...... it's been running for 7 years but just not producing cubes.

Check and see if there is water/ice in the tray.
If not.... pour some in and check tomorrow.

Old 05-31-17, 02:34 PM
H
thanks pugsl and PJmax - I will be back home tomorrow and will check your suggestions.
I would hope the bail arm was up but the fridge was in a rental house so I really dont know.
I pushed the arm down when I connected the water line but may be I will play with it and push it up/down several times to make sure it is operating correctly. I will also fill tray with water to see what happens.
Also - where is the water fill valve - is that the solenoid in the back?

Old 05-31-17, 02:46 PM
H
One more question - if i remove the ice maker and plug in the fridge, will water come out of the supply tube in the freezer or does the valve need to be energized in order for water to flow?

Old 05-31-17, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
The valve or one valve of two is in the back bottom of the fridge.

The ice maker must be plugged in to get water to the tray.
The valve is normally closed and energized open.

Old 06-02-17, 04:27 AM
H
Finally got to the fridge last night and I filled up the tray with water - it is frozen solid this morning but the ice is not being ejected. What should be my next step?

There is no indication that the ice maker is alive - when I push down the lever to turn it on, there is no buzzing, humming or anything at all.

thanks!

Old 06-03-17, 10:09 PM
H
played with it a little more today - it appears the thermal fuse in the ice maker wire harness is blown. From what i saw, sounds like this may be an indication the ice maker is bad. That means i need to order a new ice maker, is there another explanation?

thanks,

Old 06-04-17, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
You would have to check the thermal fuse with an ohmmeter to see if it's burned open or normally shorted. It is possible from working so long without water that the heater overheated.

I would make a test first. The icemaker should be connected with a four pin plug.
Power, neutral, water solenoid and ground.

Test from all four pins to ground (fridge cabinet). One pin should measure 120v. On your unit the door button may need to be held/taped in during testing.

Old 06-09-17, 11:57 AM
H
Thanks Pete - I apologize for going silent - I am traveling and will not be by the Fridge at least for a couple more weeks.
I found an icemaker on amazon for $66 so I will go ahead and order one. I need to figure out whether it will come with the harness or not.

I did test the voltage at the cabinet and I have 120V. The fuse is in the harness that connects the icemaker to the cabinet - iI do not have 120V coming to the icemaker and fuse shows no continuity. How can I figure out whether it is burned open or normally shorted?

thanks,

Old 07-01-17, 08:25 PM
H
Hi folks,
I am finally back at the cabin for some more ice maker troubleshooting fun. I replaced the ice maker but still no ice after 48 hours. I poured water in the tray and it made cubes and ejected them in a quick manner - appears that water fill valve is the issue.
How can i troubleshoot the valve? is there a way to jump/short it to make sure it is the problem?

thanks!

Old 07-01-17, 10:00 PM
H
I looked at the valve check for continuity - i only measured 2ohms while mr.google says it is supposed to be b/n 200 and 500ohms. Is the valve bad?

Old 07-02-17, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a water dispenser in the door you may have more than one solenoid.
You would usually see the one in the back have three or four wires on it if you have water in the door.

I suspect the solenoid you checked is good. You may have a meter that was not set to the right ohms scale. It needs to be on a low or Rx1 setting. The 2 is probably 200 ohms. If the valve actually was 2 ohms..... it would be almost dead shorted and cause a major short.

Just thinking.... a shorted valve could have caused that fuse to blow open.
Check the solenoid again or leave me the make and model of the meter to see what scale is needed.

Old 07-02-17, 09:23 PM
H
Thanks Pete - I use a digital multimeter with an auto Ohm setting - 1.8 to 2 Ohms is the solenoid measurement. I only have icemaker so the solenoid has only 2 terminals. Is there a way to measure voltage on the wires at these two terminals?

The tube from the solenoid to the icemaker is clear - i blew thru it and could hear the air coming out at the icemaker.
The water hose has good pressure and is working.
The icemaker makes ice when i pour water in it.
The water inlet valve seems to be the only thing left.

thanks!

Old 07-02-17, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
Ok. That valve is shorted and needs to be replaced. That was the reason for the fuse to blow open on your old ice maker.

If you plugged the new ice maker in.... it most likely also has a blown fuse.

There is voltage on those two wires for 4-6 seconds when the ice maker tells the valve to dispense water.

Old 07-05-17, 09:38 AM
H
Thanks Pete, I ordered a new valve but it will probably be a while now before I go to the cabin again so it will be a while before I can report back.
I plugged the ice maker for a couple of days but disconnected it afterwards. It won't be terrible if the fuse is blown because the new ice maker came w 3-4 harnesses that have fuses so I should be able to replaced the fused wire if need be.
Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-05-17, 09:03 PM
H
Hi folks,
Have not posted in a while but that is not because i had forgotten to update you
Finally got to the cabin this week and replaced the solenoid valve and plug in the icemaker - happy to report everything works now and I am enjoying perfect ice cubes
Thanks for all the help in fixing this issue!

Old 10-05-17, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Good job and great news.

Old 10-06-17, 11:21 AM
H
Thanks Pete - your input was much appreciated!