Are these two refrigerators the same?

Old 06-23-17, 09:26 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Are these two refrigerators the same?

I have two refrigerators in two apartments and they have the same dimensions, same appearance, the inside look the same, both side by side door refrigerators. The only differences are the brand/model number and one is white the other is stainless.

One is a KENMORE COLDSPOT Model 106.58502800.

The other one is a WHIRLPOOL Model ED5FHEXNS01.

Is there any way to find out if they are indeed identical?

The stainless steel one is dead, and I was wondering if they are the same, could I take the two stainless steel doors off the Kenmore and put that on the Whirlpool? Will they fit? although I am betting even if it fits it would be a challenge since the ice maker and water dispenser is built into the door so it's more than just door connections at the top and bottom?

Old 06-24-17, 02:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Both made by Whirlpool and are the same with minor changes. Most components will fit.
here are the parts for the one starting with 106
KENMORE SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR Parts | Model 10658502800 | Sears PartsDirect
and the other one
WHIRLPOOL SIDE-BY-SIDE REFRIGERATOR Parts | Model ED5FHEXNS01 | Sears PartsDirect
Doors will have different part # because of color.

Old 06-24-17, 04:23 AM
M
If they are the same that would be great.

I don't want to spent the time and effort to haul one 15 miles to the other. Looking at the links you provided the top and bottom hinges and nearby parts have the same part numbers so it's pretty good indications the doors are interchangeable.

The Kenmore has stainless steel doors, but the inside body in the refrigeration side has a few cracks. It's controller card is shot, the freezer side stays cool but the refrigeration side don't. The Whirlpool one has a missing shelf, and two of the plastic drawers are cracked etc...so I want to put them side by side, to kind of trying to end up with a Frankenstein fridge and save a few other spare parts before I put the Kenmore for curb side bulk trash pick up.

Old 06-24-17, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I'm not the fridge guy but have worked on Kenmore and Whirlpool appliances for a long time and most parts are interchangeable. Some times control board and timers are for only that type.

Old 06-27-17, 07:21 AM
M
Moving the refrigerator tomorrow.

It is a side by side refrigerator dimensions 36" WIDTH X 68" HEIGHT X 30" DEEP. The depth of 30" is the cabinet depth so with the handle it's wider.

I have a 36" exterior front door but the door slab itself and the door knob will eat into some clearance.

Will the refrigerator fit through the door with it sitting on the side?

If not I guess I need to remove the handle or the actual doors. If I need to remove the doors is it just removing the top and bottom hinges? Do I need to lay the fridge down to get at the bottom hinges or can it be removed standing up?

Also, is it OK to lay the fridge down on it's side on a pick up truck bed during the move? Some said refrigerator has to be transported upright? Reasons?

Old 06-27-17, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Usually the doors get pulled if extra room is needed.

To take the doors off.... remove the top hinge. Pull up and remove the top door.
Remove the middle hinge and lift off the bottom door. Now remove the bottom hinge.

There is oil in the compressor that can travel out into the refrigerant lines. You'd need to allow several hours for any oil to drain back into the compressor.

One big negative to laying a fridge on its side is that the compressor can be hanging on the refrigerant lines and bend them. Be sure the compressor is not rattling around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: