Whirlpool story

Old 07-29-17, 08:58 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool story

My landlady decided that I should have a new refrigerator. She bought a small Whirlpool. One thing that I didn't like about it was that the cold was uneven. If I put a jug of water towards the back wall, the water would freeze. More recently, late at night, I would hear noises in the kitchen. I wasn't sure what was causing the noise. Now I know. I had a 6 pack of club soda in glass bottles. The club soda was freezing. When I moved the 6 pack, one of the bottles broke & some of the glass fell. There is really no question unless someone knows what causes the uneven temp.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-17, 10:56 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Yeah, I know what causes the uneven temperatures.

Several decades ago (man, I'm getting old) refrigerators had circulating fans in them that ran continuously except when the door was opened. This continuous air circulation caused the inside air temperatures to be pretty much the same no matter where in the refrigerator section. In a move to reduce energy consumption (by government mandate) the manufacturers stopped using the fans.

Now the cold air in the refrigerator section comes from a grille, most often in the center, back and upper section of the box. The cold air comes from the evaporator coil located in the freezer compartment and a fan that blows whenever the compressor is running. There is a damper in the duct between the fan and the refrigerator compartment that is regulated, either manually or by a servo motor controlled by a separate thermostat, that allows air through the duct whenever the refrigerator section is warmer than the thermostat section (when there is a separate thermostat) or the manual setting simply allows a portion of the air from the freezer to the refrigerator section whenever the freezer thermostat causes the compressor to run.

So, your options are to keep the bottles away from the grille or to run the refrigerator section warmer than is recommended for best food storage. The high-end refrigerators with dual evaporators do allow for somewhat better temperature control but at a huge price increase.

So thank Congress for reducing the operating cost of the refrigerator but also making it work more poorly in maintaining a proper temperature.

Old 07-29-17, 11:29 AM
S
Thanks for the explanation. I'll try to keep the bottles away from the back wall. It only happens with water. If I put juice there, it doesn't freeze.

Old 07-29-17, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
My fridge is the same way. We have to keep items away from the grille or they will freeze or get damaged by the freezer air.

Old 07-29-17, 11:53 AM
S
So thank Congress
Furd, I forgot to add that there is a long list apart from refrigerators for which they deserve the same thanks.