Electrolux/Frigidaire (FPBC2277RF5) icing behind ice maker

Old 10-05-17, 09:42 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrolux/Frigidaire (FPBC2277RF5) icing behind ice maker

Hi,

There is an ice build-up in the back upper corner of the ice maker. The ice maker still works fine though. The temp setting for this model are correct.

I've attached a photo, the build up is in the back upper corner.

Thanks
BB

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 10-05-17 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removed un-needed info ?
Old 10-05-17, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
It doesn't look like the water is from the ice maker. My guess is that your evaporator (cold coil) has a plugged drain line and when the fridge defrosts the water is running everywhere.

You will need to remove the cover from the evaporator in the freezer to check for excessive icing at the bottom of the coil.

Old 10-09-17, 11:58 AM
O
Where is that cover located? Is there a parts assembly schematic that I can access on-line?

Old 10-09-17, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Can you confirm this is your model number ? FPBC2277RF5
The one you posted is not correct.

See the "Cabinet" section in the following link.
sears parts direct/fpbc2277rf5/1428/0161000.html

Old 10-10-17, 07:16 AM
O
Yes, sorry for the confusion, you have the correct model number.
I went to the hyperlink you attached in your last reply; where do you think I should begin to trouble shoot based on those exploded assembly drawings?

BB

Old 10-10-17, 07:48 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The evaporator is behind panel #124 on the "cabinet" drawing. You have to empty the freezer drawer and remove it. There's a geared track that keeps the drawer aligned L/R that's tricky to keep straight.
There's a gutter underneath the coils that catches the condensate that drips off. See if that gutter is full of ice. There's a drain tube bottom center of the gutter that gets clogged with gunk. Aiming a hair dryer at the ice dam will melt it and sometimes a turkey baster with hot water can be used to clear the drain of ice & mold.

Getting the ice cleared will let the water drain out & lower the humidity in the compartment, which reduces frost buildup. It'll also improve the fridge efficiency.
Mine built up so much ice it overflowed into the bottom of the freezer and when that was full it ran out on to the floor & damaged it. Don't wait that long!

A service man will do the job in about an hour using a steam cleaner to quickly melt the ice.

Old 10-10-17, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... the evaporator is not the problem here as it is at the bottom of the freezer and the ice is at the top. Your ice maker has a fan behind it that circulates cold air. That ice may have been formed by the door being left open too long on a humid day.

If it was from the ice maker.... it would continue to get much larger.

I would remove the food and pack it in a cooler. Turn fridge off and allow the water to melt and clean it up. Turn on fridge and check for problems in the future.

Old 10-23-17, 10:34 AM
O
I finally got some time to look into your last suggestion on seeing if there was any ice buildup behind panel 124. It was totally ice free as well as the drain.

Any other ideas? Although the upper ice maker is working fine, I'm tempted to take apart the upper ice maker to see what's going on there.

BB

Old 10-23-17, 11:42 AM
O
I took as much of the upper icemaker apart as I could. I could see the fan you spoke of and with a long screwdriver it moved easily. Perhaps the fan doesn't work??? I put a hair dryer to that area and melted all of the ice away in that first attachment I sent. So I'll monitor it going forward.

Thanks

Old 10-23-17, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
If that fan was not working you would hardly get any ice and I'd imagine the fridge would be running warm. My thought was that since that fan is blowing frigid air into the fridge..... that's a natural place for condensation in the air to freeze. Let us know what happens in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: