Dishwasher not secure after new counter top install

Old 11-05-17, 12:57 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dishwasher not secure after new counter top install

We had old butcher block counter tops removed and had granite ones installed. I believe the installer did not secure the dishwasher as now it can tip forward if I pull the top shelf out while it's full. I believe before it was a screw that held it in place, but with stone, that isn't a possibility. Any suggestions as to how to secure the top of the dishwasher to the counter top?

- There are two metal brackets on each side of the top of the dishwasher.
- There are two metal brackets adhered to the underside of the counter top that in theory could prevent it from tipping out.
- I believe these metal brackets were meant to connect to the brackets attached to the dishwasher, but they are too far to do that.
- Is there a high-temperature adhesion I could put in between the metal pieces from the dishwasher and the countertop to hold that in place?
- I don't intend on keeping the dishwasher for more than a few years, so the solution shouldn't be permanent.
- I have noticed the dishwasher is louder than usual.
- Any safety concerns having it this way?

Thank you for any suggestions and advice!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-17, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Look on side of DW for a plastic plug, The top bracket will move to slot in side and screw will go in there. There is one on each side. Replace plugs after installing screws. Most DW have them.

Old 11-05-17, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
The tabs could have been glued or holes drilled for short anchors in the stone. The should also be hole in the side of the DW to secure to the cabinets with a screw.

Old 11-05-17, 02:42 PM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
Yes, screw holes with plastic anchors are typically used to secure the DW on the underside of the counter top. Could be the installers just forgot. Call them and ask if they can come back and secure it. It should be a part of any installation.

Old 11-05-17, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,176 Votes on 1,090 Posts
I've never seen brackets glued to the granite ahead of time. I've never seen them use plastic anchors in granite either. I usually silicone a piece of wood to the bottom of the granite and then use short screws into that piece of wood. You can move the brackets to the side of the unit like pugsi mentioned and try catching the wood cabinet.

You probably paid a small fortune to have the countertop replaced. Call the installers and tell them to fasten the dishwasher. It's part of their job !

Old 11-05-17, 05:24 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thank you!

Thanks everyone. I agree that the installer totally missed the mark when reinstalling the dishwasher. It may be tough to get them back, but I'll look into these suggestions for sure. Thanks again!

Old 11-05-17, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Never try to drill into a granite counter or any stone counter, even the best professionals I work with would not do it.
Move the top mounting brackets to the side as Pugs said. You should see plastic plugs just inside the door frame and the unit will need pulled out about 6" to relocate the brackets and then pushed back in before securing. The plug is only to hide the screws.

Here's the bracket I use, I would have them (demand) to come back and install one if side mount is not an option.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Universal-Dishwasher-Mounting-Kit-Countertop-Mount-Stainless-Steel/999956602?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-Appliances-_-SosAccessories-_-999956602:Whirlpool&CAWELAID=&kpid=999956602&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=5f16cb0b-c617-429a-af5c-c3383a13bf70

Old 11-06-17, 04:33 AM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
Brian,
What you say is not true. An experienced installer can easily drill into the bottom side of a counter top and install screws. I've seen it done many times. Note, I said an experienced installer. However, knowing what tools to use and having drilled though ceramic and porcelain tile and stone previously, I would not hesitate to do it on a counter top. For the inexperienced, then yes, use an alternative method to secure the DW.

Last edited by Norm201; 11-06-17 at 04:44 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 11-06-17, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norm, I've been working on the best counter tops for over 17 years. We have never drilled into the bottom of a counter for any reason.
It's not a good idea, granite especially is very fragile.
I guess it can be done, but there are better alternatives.... Come on Norm......