whirlpool fridge model number

Old 02-23-18, 11:32 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
whirlpool fridge model number

Fairly confident the annoying sound now coming constantly from our full size older Whirlpool refrigerator is probably coming from the condenser fan motor. The various sites I've visited describe where I should be able to find the model number for the Whirlpool fridges should be on a plate found on the inside wall of the fridge. I've looked all over the inside wall on ours but see no such plate anywhere on the inside wall(s). Where else might it be? I swear its just not there. I kinda gotta know so I be can sure to order up the right replacement part. Any comments appreciated

Old 02-24-18, 01:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Usually in Fridge side top on right side. Not a medal plate just a label. Need all numbers. Will look like this
XXX XXXXXXXX

Old 02-24-18, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Some locations shown based on type of fridge.

Name:  f1.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  25.2 KB

Old 02-24-18, 09:58 AM
I looked in the fridge side top on right side, no label there nor in the side top on left side. The fridge is the first style shown in Pete's reply. Pretty sure I looked at all those places but I'll look again. thanks

Old 02-24-18, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Could be behind the lower kickplate.... if it's removable.

Old 02-24-18, 02:25 PM
I finally found it, an actual little metal plate, there at the bottom-most position there in Pete's first picture of the various types. Here's a picture of it:

An odd thing, I went to Repair Clinic.com website and typed in the model number but it doesn't find that model number. Don't know whats up with that. I typed in right. Even tried the letter O at the end instead of a zero, but that didn't help either.

Old 02-24-18, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I went to a few sites I know and that number did not work either. How old is fridge? By tag looks old, I can't ever remember seeing a tag like that and I repaired appliances for many years,

Old 02-24-18, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Whirlpool EHT181AKGR0
Type: 17ATR81

Is this a fridge purchased in the States ?
It may be older than the first published models on that site.

What annoying sound..... a clicking sound ?
That would be the starting relay mounted on the compressor.
A fairly common problem on older units.

Old 02-24-18, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Canadian model perhaps?
At Sears Parts Canada...eht181 brings up some models...none exactly match...but might those just be color options or similar?

Here's one that almost an exact match except for one letter...https://www.reliableparts.ca/lookup/...90/EHT181AKWR0 What color is yours? Unfortunately, they're only showing door parts, but it might be a step in the right direction.

Found another site with that WRO ending model, but absolutely no parts available. Best bet is probably going to be find the offending item whether it be a relay or the fan and then find something semi-compatible and rig it to work. Any used appliance places around? They almost always have a boneyard of old units that can be scrounged.

Old 03-11-18, 06:03 PM
I went to a few sites I know and that number did not work either. How old is fridge? By tag looks old, I can't ever remember seeing a tag like that and I repaired appliances for many years,
I finally came up with a close match where the last three letters are WR0 instead of GR0. Apparently the G means gold and the W means white. I guess the gold color was/is fairly uncommon in comparison to the W. It's a pretty old fridge, my guess is 15 years old but really that's just a guess.

Old 03-11-18, 06:19 PM
Is this a fridge purchased in the States ?
It may be older than the first published models on that site.
What annoying sound..... a clicking sound ?
That would be the starting relay mounted on the compressor.
A fairly common problem on older units.
Yeah it was probably purchased in the States. It was a second-hand unit when we acquired it from a private party. In Alaska.
Yeah it may be older than the first published models on the various sites. I did come across a model with last digits being WR0 instead of GR0 which probably means gold instead of white. (It is a gold colored fridge.)
The noise is not clicking, it is more of a loud groaning type sound. It goes on for quite some time, then quits for a while, then starts up again, quite intermittent. Sometimes doesnt do it all day, then the next day does it again for most of the day.

Old 03-11-18, 06:31 PM
Found another site with that WRO ending model, but absolutely no parts available. Best bet is probably going to be find the offending item whether it be a relay or the fan and then find something semi-compatible and rig it to work. Any used appliance places around? They almost always have a boneyard of old units that can be scrounged.
Yep I think the deal is the GRO is just too uncommon, and means gold color, as is this fridge. Nope no fridge boneyards of any use here in my rural small town semi-isolated Alaskan community. I am leaning toward this sound as maybe being the condenser fan motor and have found a part 833697 as a fairly common replacement part for this model. But, not sure if that's what the sound is coming from for sure; I'd kinda need to pull the fridge out away from the wall (it's kind of a beast and full of food too) and try to take a closer look/listen while it's operating and making the sound, which comes and goes....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: