Bad compressor symptoms on cooler ??

Old 02-25-18, 01:09 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad compressor symptoms on cooler ??

Hi All, Know this is a bit of a shot in the dark, so bear with me. I have one of those single glass door commercial coolers that you would/could fine in a store near a check out lane that is usually filled with soda. The problem I am having is that the condenser (I think) is freezing up with ice. Since the circulation fan is in the top of the unit it begins to hit the ice build up. And as one can imagine it progressively turns into some pretty bad racket. Plus the fact that i'm sure this also means that something else is wrong. I am familiar with some of the issues that could cause this....fan....drain plugged.....etc. But can this icing be the sign of a bad compressor ? I do not believe these types of coolers have a defrost but not sure on that. If they don't then of course theres no defrost cycle at fault. So I guess my question is....can a bad compressor cause icing ?? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-18, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Icing of the inside evaporator coil would signify a system low on charge.
Not a compressor problem.

Other things that can cause icing is a problem with the defrost system, excessive warm air entering the box or poor airflow across the coil.

Most have defrost systems. If you look for the wiring diagram.... it would have defrost parts listed on it if your unit had defrost capability.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: