Whirlpool side by side Freezer Section not freezing Properly

Old 02-26-18, 02:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool side by side Freezer Section not freezing Properly

Whirlpool side by side Refrigerator is working OK, but freezer not getting as cold as it should. Pulled off access panel and took a picture. I am assuming this is too much ice on the evaporator if the defrost is working properly. The ice buildup seems uniform. And the evaporator fan is turning.

I should add I had turned the refrigerator off and let everything defrost and after that it worked well at first getting down to zero in freezer, so I do not think it is a low refrigerant or compressor issue.

Is there a way to test if it is the thermostate or defrost timer or could it be something else. What should I do first.

Model Number: ED5VHEXVB00

Did some more digging the temperature is getting to around 18 degrees with all that ice on the evaporator.

I was trying to see if there was a manual way to force a defrost, to see if the heating elements work. Is there a manual way to do this. Exactly how does the defrost work. Is there a timer backup or just that thermostate, so if the thermostate does not work no defrost?

I took a pictures of the top of the evaporator. I want to test the defrost and heating element. Is that black and white wire to the heating element. If so can I just discount and ohm and if continuous element is OK. Also to test the defrost would I have to cut it out. At what temperature does it close or open. Is it normally open or closed.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Attached Images   

Last edited by rwbil; 02-26-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 12:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There is a defrost cycling thermostat mounted to the coil. It has a pink and brown wire on it. Then there is the defrost heater element and the defrost control board. It's called adaptive defrost. It's done electrically.... no mechanical timer.

Remove the front lick panel and locate the tech sheet. It can be taped to the the bottom of the fridge behind the kick. It may be in a little bag. Look close.... it's there. It will tell you how to put the fridge into manual defrost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: