Recommendation and opinions on range hood

Old 04-09-18, 11:36 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendation and opinions on range hood

What's your recommendation/opinion on ducted range hood. Here's what I need.

Hood depth: at least 24"
Hood width: 30"
Filter: baffle
CFM: greater 900CM
Material: stainless steel
Type: under cabinet if possible but not require

Some brands I'm consider are but not limited to: Z Line, Proline Professional, ExtreamAir, Zephyr, Viking, and AKDY

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-20, 01:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Z Line is a good choice for quality and price. Proline is also, but my experience is better to go with the Z Line.
Regardless of which you select always get a fan curve before you purchase it. That will provide assurance that the fan has the flow rate you need at the static pressure head (SP) you need. The SP will be a function of the vent ducting design. The ducting (including the wall or roof cap) imposes back pressure on the fan. That back pressure is the SP I refer to. Some manufacturers list their fan's flow rate at zero back pressure (called free flow). However, that is totally impractical. You will have some back pressure (SP) that will reduce the rated flow. Typical SPs can be 1/4 to 3/4 "wc depending on the duct size and design (includes how many 90 degree elbows, reducers, etc.) Without seeing the fan curve for your 900 cfm fan and without knowing the vent duct design you simply do not know what the flow rate will be. Sorry to make this so complicated, but I've seen many installations that have been badly designed resulting in extremely reduced flow and very noisy. The higher the pressure losses (back pressure on fan, i.e., SP), the lower the flow will be and the more noisy it will be. If your duct run is not too long, say less than 15 feet with less than one or two 90 degree elbows, and you use at least 8" diameter smooth metal duct and roof or wall cap the same size, you should expect to get at least 500 cfm or more out of the 900 cfm rating. Again, need to see the fan curve and duct design to know for sure. Also always use smooth metal duct. Never use corrugated, flexible duct (like the kind used a lot with clothes dryers).
BTW, you shouldn't need more that about 150 cfm per foot of range width so in your case 150 x 30/12 = 375 cfm unless you're doing some heavy duty commercial cooking. Another major thing to consider is that the residential code now requires an automatic make up air system rated for same flow to be installed if the range hood is rated 400 cfm or higher. It would take in outside air and supply it to the inside typically through the HVAC return duct or through filtered intake. That can get complicated and costly but is essential to prevent negative pressure in your living space. If not done, that can be unhealthy and in fact dangerous due to the back draft if you have combustion appliances like gas range, gas fireplace, water heater, etc located in that negative pressure area. The negative pressure will also further reduce the range fan flow rate capability. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 01-31-20, 02:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Please note the thread date. You responded to a two year old thread. I would hope Charlie2 has already bought his vent hood.